• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Diver Tactics Q&A Thread

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys who taught us diver hunting always told us the best call for a diver is the one you leave in the truck, and that is where it should stay wink

Especially if your hunting within earshot of me....... laugh

Nothing much more annoying than the dufus that high balls at anything feathered from 150 yards out.....to tiny specs on the horizon... .

most of the time over calling is the culpret of no ducks in the bag grin I try not to call a whole lot if any at all but there are those times when I have really seen a noticble differnce in pulling birds down out of the sky to take a look and by then its over for the birds

Great thread RumRiverRat. This is the stuff that can really help new hunters.

We hunt Golden Eyes and divers late in the year on Leech and Winnie. Calling is an under rated thing for divers and they do respond to it at the right time and place. The duck commanders wooden cheap mallard calls make the best growl I've heard. If you listen to divers they make more noise than people think they do it's just at a lower tone then say mallards. Divers are awesome birds.

Once again great thread.

RRR i would highly recommend hunting Leech someday. We (7 of us) stay at a resort on the lake every year for the opener. And my grandparents had a cabin up there for years. At times later in the season when we get a good push of birds it is nothing to see non stop birds all morning. I have hunted all over the upper mid west and Canada and i would say leech is in the top 5 favorite places to hunt.

I've hunt alot of lake around leech on opener and always here the bangin go on. RRR we will just have to plann a late season goldeneye hunt up there have got some buddys that just have an absolute blast with those little tanks as they call them.I also got a place to stay in longville

Late season golden eyes on one of the big points on Leech lake is as close as you can get to a sea duck hunt in Minnesota. Highly recommend it. Gang rigs or long lines on decoys are a must if you want to hunt out on the main lake for golden eyes. Whistlers are a tough big beautiful bird and a blast to hunt.

Hey guys, how many goldeneye dekes do you use on the real big lakes, Leech, Winnie, etc.? We put out at most about 8 or maybe ten, but I can see on the big staging lakes where there could be more.

I love goldeneyes, have two mounted above my new fireplace, and got both on pretty much metro lakes smile

I've hunt alot of lake around leech on opener and always here the bangin go on. RRR we will just have to plann a late season goldeneye hunt up there have got some buddys that just have an absolute blast with those little tanks as they call them.I also got a place to stay in longville

Stop talking about it, I am already going crazy waiting for duck opener. grin

I love chasin divers but those late season Goldeneye hunts are what it is all about for me. They decoy so easy if you just have some goldeneye dekes out. The trouble for me is hitting the things. Never hit Leech for the Goldeneyes but have spent a lot of time in the Park Rapids area chasing them. May have to check it out someday.

Dan

How do you guys anchor your boat when you are hunting bullrushes on a big lake? Do you just drop a big anchor with the nose into the wind? Or do you use two anchors? It seems like it would be tough shooting without much stability. I have always hunted cattails and either pull my boat into them or have it along side of them. I have one spot in mind where I have seen lots of goldeneyes but I would have to hunt the rushes in 4-5 feet of water.

Nate,

I am assuming the rushes are not thick enough to stabilize the boat.

Anchors are an options or if the water is 4 to 5 feet deep you can use 10 foot lengths of larger diameter conduit, put one at each corner of the stern and one on each side of the boat towards the bow.

Drive them into the bottom, use U bolts to attach them to the boat.

I have not had to do this but I just got a brilliant idea about it.

Got to go out in the garage and tinker with a few things. cool

thats why I use tie wire or clamps zip ties would work also but you would have to cut them each time you wanna leave. but you wouldnt have to do that if mans best friend is there.you could also fasten a piece of pipe to the side/end s of your boat then slide the pole thru the pipe and easy in easy out. drill a hole thru the pole near the bottom and when you pull it up shove a bolt thru it and they are ready for travel. ZWhen you get back to your spot pull bolt out and shove pole in the mud. sounds easy so I guess i'll have to try it.

Yeah, the rushes are not thick enough to stabalize the boat. I like your conduit idea but you would have to have a way to quickly detach them so you can out after cripples.

Use Wing Nuts on the U bolts, loosen them and pull up the conduit.

Or use C-Clamps, they could be loosen quickly.

I would also paint the conduit, so it is not shiny.

I just realized that this spot has a hard bottom so it would probably be hard to push the poles in the bottom. My best bet would probably be to find a different spot to shoot goldeneyes!

Use a 4 pound sledge hammer, conduit is hollow and goes in pretty easy even in a hard bottom.