Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riverwader

Has anyone heard or seen a air ride suspension wheel fish houes?

28 posts in this topic

I have seen all sorts of wheel houses with hydralic lift with torsion springs, but has anyone ever seen one with Giant air bags that would lift the fish house up off the ice and then ride at that height. You would need an on board compressor and probably 2 air bags per side, but if they can make these low riders jump off the ground I would think they would be strong enough for a MN winter. Any ideas?

the wife and i where just taking about the possibility of doing that to an old rv for the ice season! ironic! will be interesting to see what peoples opinions are?

EK

I have seen all sorts of wheel houses with hydralic lift with torsion springs, but has anyone ever seen one with Giant air bags that would lift the fish house up off the ice and then ride at that height. You would need an on board compressor and probably 2 air bags per side, but if they can make these low riders jump off the ground I would think they would be strong enough for a MN winter. Any ideas?

All of the low-riders I have seen are made with electric/hydrolic systems. I have not yet seen one with air bags, but there might be some.

I have seen one house with the air bag set-up on it. They used one bag per side. If you choose air bags, you don't have to put any springs for suspension. The air bags do that. He didn't have a pump for the air, but brought an air tank along when they were going to move the house. I would think that a 12v pump would be the better option though.

Pretty spendy though,and if the air bag would ever blow out on the road. I will stick to the strap system, or the cable. Both are easier to fix along side the road, or on the ice.

There is a guy up by ST Cloud that uses air bags on houses. Its very nice.

Hawkeye43, do they have a HSOforum, or any info on their system?

Ive been looking at doing this on my big shack, just havent finished the plans.

Send your email and I send his #. No site, he does houses in his spare time. He does a nice job and I was going to get one until I found the frame that I got now at a steal of a price. One day down the road I will have one of the air ride houses.

Send your email and I send his #. No site, he does houses in his spare time. He does a nice job and I was going to get one until I found the frame that I got now at a steal of a price. One day down the road I will have one of the air ride houses.

HAwkeye could you sent me the number as well! Street_racer_85@hotmail.com

Thanks

Ek

huntershaven at embarqmail.com

Send me some pics, if you have some.

Thanks.

My brother designed and built from scratch (all welding and fabrication) a 8x20 V front using air bags for lifting. We will be trying it out first time this season. It is a heavy house and it lifts smoothly.

Any chance anyone has any pictures of this? For the ones that people have seen are they setup with the front or back stationary on a pivot and the oppisite end has the air bag? I would think it would take up less space in the wheel well area since you dont have to have any extra suspension.

Originally Posted By: riverwader

All of the low-riders I have seen are made with electric/hydrolic systems. I have not yet seen one with air bags, but there might be some.

I have seen one house with the air bag set-up on it. They used one bag per side. If you choose air bags, you don't have to put any springs for suspension. The air bags do that. He didn't have a pump for the air, but brought an air tank along when they were going to move the house. I would think that a 12v pump would be the better option though.

Pretty spendy though,and if the air bag would ever blow out on the road. I will stick to the strap system, or the cable. Both are easier to fix along side the road, or on the ice.

I used to work for a semi trailer company and we had a model designed for off road use that was to get a 12V compressor and that thing went for $500 or better. You many want to consider a different way to air the bags up.

Hawkeye43, I looked at that house you were talking about, and I have to say that is one SWEET HOUSE!! The price that he is asking is well in the ballpark for what it is made of, if not might be a little low.

this is why this has came up with me I have found multiple air bag setups that are less than $100 each side. I figure how better to find out if I am wasting my time even designing itt than here. If this is a great idea and most of us just haven't hear about it, than cool lets learn.

He will build to any size you want and finish as far as you want. I think air bags will be the next generation of upper class houses unless can find away to bring the cost of the system down.

Riverwader, If you found airbags around a $100 a side, could you please share info.

Be very interested to see how air and associated moisture react with -30. May be a reason that the "upper" class shacks stick to hydraulics.

I have been thinking about this for a couple years now! The problems I see with it is a truck air bag only has about 5" of travel, so the bag will need to between the piviot and the wheel to get enough travel to raise the house. My main concern is getting the firmness right and keeping it from bottoming out on both the down and up stroke. I think you would need to run shocks because airbags are going to be very bouncy. You will also need to adjust the psi in the bag depending on how much weight is in the house. Most trucks run very low psi empty (10-20psi) about 61 or 62 psi leagaly loaded and it is not uncommon to see 85 or 90 with an oversize load. I think it would be a great way to go if you could get the kinks worked out!

Be very interested to see how air and associated moisture react with -30. May be a reason that the "upper" class shacks stick to hydraulics.

Haven't you ever heard of air line antifreeze? crazy

From the looks of the house this gentleman makes, I would have purchased his over yours any day.

Where can I see one of these?

I will probably get yelled at for giving the info, but here you go.

At fish house for sale dot com

Do search listings for "wheelhouse"

Bottom of page 4

From Atwater

there is that one and there is another one......on the same site Page 3 3-4 from the bottom from Brainerd

Riverwader, If you found airbags around a $100 a side, could you please share info.

The ones I have found are on airbagit under air bags. The only problem that I would see would be the diameter of the bags. To get a larger lift the bags are much wider.

2600lb. 14" Extended, 4" Collapse, 7.25" Diameter - Single 1/2" port airspring airbag

List Price: $106.80

Our Price: $89.00

Haven't you ever heard of air line antifreeze? crazy

From the looks of the house this gentleman makes, I would have purchased his over yours any day.

Nice... very nice.