Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLACKJACK

Squash vines - trim them???

5 posts in this topic

I planted about 6 squash plants and they've been growing great guns, setting lots of squash, vines are +15 foot long and running out into the lawn. I don't care about that, just less mowing but a friend of mine came by and said that I should start trimming off the ends of the vines, that it would put more energy back into the developing squash. Is that true? Should I trim them or just let them grow until the first frost comes along?

I agree with your friend and would cut them off. You want the plants energy going into growing the squash you have now not making more vines.

I let mine go.I just pick off the new fruit now....they won't mature anyway.Does the same thing as cutting them off.The more leaf growth.....the better.

Mmmmm, two different opinions. Anybody else care to voice their opinion and break the tie? Cutting off the vine ends would be quicker and easier, tracking down all the new squash could be kind of tedious because they keep blooming and setting more little squashes. Or I could just do like I normally do and let them grow until the first killing frost comes along and does them in.