Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leff

Coldfront Flatheads

26 posts in this topic

So if I go out on a night like tonight what can I expect for success?

Anyone have success in weather like this?

I would say your odds are better than if you stayed home.

Your success isn't always measured by the fish caught. If it's gonna be miserable out, and the fish have been negative even before the bad weather, then stay home and stay dry.

But if the weather don't bother you and you don't have anything more productive to do than it doesn't hurt to give it a shot.

I'll be enjoying the couch tonight.

Back in the day down in Iowa, we used to get insane trotline catches on nights like tonight. The rising water would drive them wild seemingly independent of the cold front. Maybe they bite different up here though?

Or I could put the couch in the boat and have the best of both worlds.

been there done that and it is truely the best of both worlds

Or I could put the couch in the boat and have the best of both worlds.

Perhaps a couple of lazy boy chairs on swivels.

On a more serious note, I’m not a big fan of cold fronts, however when it’s a front like this, that just stalls for 24-48hrs, it doesn’t bother me much.

I really hate the kind that blow through with a vengeance while you are on the water. The front side is usually good (while it lasts) and then the bite absolutely shuts down after it blows over.

Well, I'm planning on going out no matter what. I got 4 bullies that need to get used because tonights my last chance to use them until Sunday (tops); and I don't have the greatest set up to keep them alive for that long.

I was more or less seeing if anyone has actually had good success or not in these conditions.

I'll give a post later on how it goes!

Leff, I have had success on nights like this, but on average it is still a lot slower, but for me if I catch just one 20+ pounder, I call it a successful night.

Shoot, the other night I was out and caught a small 2-3#'er and considered that a successful night! wink

Probably cause I'm still a rookie, and that was my 2nd catfish ever! (didn't even know he was on until I reeled in to call it a night....)

Actually though, any night out of the house fishing or hunting is a successful trip, period!

Went out last night in the rain to a spot that seemed to have everything going for it. Creek mouth acrossed the river, log jam on top and bottom of it, a sharp bend with a cut bank, lots of structure and a nice big sandbar that was basically a choke point for fish to come through. One solid run that took me into a snag, a few turtle bites, and some current bites was it. No fish landed. I have never had very much luck in this type of weather. But who knows there is usually a fish biting somewhere and a lot of river to put your bait in. I am thinking about camping on Saturday. Hopefully that night will produce.

I think I know the spot you speak of...we caught a couple fish there but nothing big. And it was pouring rain too.

Leff, I have had success on nights like this, but on average it is still a lot slower, but for me if I catch just one 20+ pounder, I call it a successful night.

Any fish in my opinion brought is a good night for me. Ive been out to many nights skunked. I have had a good streak going for me lately though. Just havent hooked into any big girls frown

Personally I prefer the loveseat and the candlelight.

Which one of you is the 1st to pull the "Ole Yawn Move" whilst coming down with your hand around the other; or is it an odd/even night type thing for whos turn wink?

Originally Posted By: dtro
Personally I prefer the loveseat and the candlelight.

Which one of you is the 1st to pull the "Ole Yawn Move" whilst coming down with your hand around the other; or is it an odd/even night type thing for whos turn wink?

Most of what John has showed me he said he has learned from you Ted

[PoorWordUsage] I've never had the privledge yet....tried hooking up w/ John a few times this year but he's outta town for work or I'm working.

Coldfront Flatheads=SkunkEd grin

go and find out. I have.

Just one of things you have to learn, no matter what your mind tells ya wink

Good luck though. Things can and will happen. smile

All I can say is " You follow the rules of the road ? "

What?!?!?!? Honk if your Horny..... WOOT WOOOT!!!!

Or do we go with Tony Orlando....Lyrics with a small change.

"Oh my buddy..... Honk three times on the River if you want me"..."Bang twice on the boat if you want to blow"...