• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

G. Loomis new walleye rods

fishwater

Here's a spec sheet showing some new Loomis walleye series rods. Interestingly they are making a new version of the hsr9000, it appears they are going to a light action tip vs. the mag light? Pretty excited to get a 751 when available.

541o.jpg

Quote:
Not knocking gloomis as it is a nice rod but the prices are starting to get ridiculous

I agree.

At one point I had 2 G. Loomis's I since have sold one and still have one around for a boat rod. After moving on from Loomis I started using St. Croixs. I still have a few and I do use the at times mostly Avids but I do own a Legend and a Premier also.

The rods I find myself using the most are the "Smoothies" from Limit Creek out of Hudson WI. I actually just threw 2 of them in my boat a few minutes ago for draggin jigs tomorrow. These rods do not compromise sensitivity for price and they have the backbone to handle the larger fish. The action is great for all around walleye fishing. I use them for lindy rigging, jigging, casting blades, and pitching crankbaits on a regular basis. The best part is I can buy 3 of them for what one G. Loomis costs. Don't get me wrong I am not nocking any other rod companies out there, I just feel I found a great rod at an unbeatable price point.

Do yourself a favor and check one of these out. I think you will like them.

A good reel to match them up with is the Pfluger Supreme 8030MG.

mw

I have a ton of rods from $40 - $300. I believe there is a point of no return with rods. I have usually found it at around the $160 range.

I very seldom pay over $100 for a rod any more. With the invent of Power Pro and the likes I can get the same sensitivity out of my cheaper rods as I could with my high end stuff and mono. I use more and more PP every year. I know it has helped me catch way more fish and in the long run its cheaper for me to use.

Anyways if you have the $300 for a Loomis then go ahead and buy them. If not dont feel bad because there are tons of great rods out there these days at half the price.

Northlander- I am not tryig to start a agument but me and a budy were just talking about this.

I am not sure if I under stand what you are saying. I also Have several rods from $ 350 all the way down to $25 but what does line like power pro are fire line have anything to do with the sensitvity of a rod? I think I no what you mean by saying line like pp with help with the sensitivity but, not mater what rod you put it on rather its a berkley lighting rod, to custom rod a G loomis GlX the line will make the rod more sensitive.

Personally, I think that the higher end rods do have more sensitivity, and that it can help you catch more fish in certain situations.

I have to agree with rattleL on this one.

It's not the stick, its who's holding it. A few years ago I fished 10 Bass open tourneys with the pros. As a co angler I was allowed to bring my own gear as long as it didn't conflict with the pros sponsors. When the pros found out I was using G Loomis they all said I wish I had rods as good as that. Most of these guys fished with nice rods but nothing compared to a G Loomis. My point is though, even with those "average" rods, they caught most anything that was near them. Time spent on the water is more valuable than even the most expensive equipment.

There are a ton of good rods out there in the $100 range, Limit Creek is one of them but these rods aren't good, they are great.

Again, if they are to rich for your blood, don't buy them.

How did this turn into a "My rod is as good as a G. Loomis" thread when all it did was show some new models for next year? Funny how that happens every time someone brings up either the Loomis or St. Croix name.

Love the devotion to the G Loomis, but to answer your question maybe to some $250 and up is hard to comprehend when there is quality out there that is less expensive like Limit Creek.

No one said they were comparing the 2 brands just throwing alternatives out there.

I get it its like owners of hunting dogs, my breed is the best hunter but the tried and trues are fine also but really dont match up to the breed I have.

Well that might be a good comparison because we all know Large Munsterlanders are the best. grin

Northlander- I am not tryig to start a agument but me and a budy were just talking about this.

I am not sure if I under stand what you are saying. I also Have several rods from $ 350 all the way down to $25 but what does line like power pro are fire line have anything to do with the sensitvity of a rod? I think I no what you mean by saying line like pp with help with the sensitivity but, not mater what rod you put it on rather its a berkley lighting rod, to custom rod a G loomis GlX the line will make the rod more sensitive.

Personally, I think that the higher end rods do have more sensitivity, and that it can help you catch more fish in certain situations.

Ya no matter what rod you put a superline on its going to increase the feel you get out of that rod.

TONS of good rods these days. Yes the top end rods are lighter, at times more sensitive and made with better materials. I was just saying that a guy can save some $ and buy a cheaper rod and put some superline on it and have great feel for less $. Myself I feel no need to spend $300 on rods any more. I have all types of rods customs and shelf rods and I use all of them at certain times but will save myself cash by buying cheaper rods now. Thats if I ever buy a new rod. I already have too many. grin

A lot of feel in a rod has to do with a trained hand. I believe the more expensive rods do give you a better feel for structure/fish, but I also think that after a certain point expensive equipment becomes more of an important aspect for gearheads and enthusiasts.

Loomis are great rods . I love the IMX & I have one GLX. Too bad they are not going to sell blanks after this year. You can buy what the stores have.

The warranty coverage for blanks after this year is terrible. They will not send you a blank. I posted the entire blank warranty in the rod building section awhile ago.

I hear that Gary Loomis will be selling blanks in the near future. Something to check out for sure for all the Loomis fans!!!

I own several GLX rods and would never buy anything else. It comes down to price. If a person has the money to buy a Loomis they will, if not they will look for an alternative! I always look at it you spend a lot of money chasing game while hunting, fishing ect. why not invest in quality items!