Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  

I'm thinking about getting a .22 semi-auto and am looking for some advice. Main use would be just plinking. I want something fairly reasonably priced but a decent gun.

Also, this will be my first hand gun. What is involved in buying a hand gun? Do I need a permit? Application?

Thanks,

Ryan

You will need a Purchase Permit available from your sherif, or police chief depending on were you live, to buy a .22 handgun.

The aplication is fairly easy and they will do a bit of a backround on you just to make sure you are not a fellon.

As far as what gun to look at, look at all of them. If I was to be buying a .22 handgun, I would look at the Ruger Mark III with the heavy barrel. Sig-sauer also makes a nice one.

I would get a Browning "Buckmark".

I have had a Ruger Mark II for 25 years and everytime I see someone who has the Buckmark I get a hankering to trade up.

But I never have maybe someday.

I have berreta neos and love it, I have buddies who have a buckmark, a ruger, and a smith and wesson. Find something that will fit your hand comfortably, buy a couple bricks and fire away.

My hunting buddy has the Ruger Mark III with the heavy barrel, very nice and a lot of fun to shoot.

My friends at work have just about talked me into this pistol. They're shocked and embarrassed that I don't own a .22 pistol. I told my wife I can't have my friends thinking that way. Just check prices ... they vary for the same gun depending on where you shop.

I purchased a Smith & Wesson from GM a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it. Was on sale for $229.99 I believe. No problems yet, but only about 500 rounds through it.

I have the Neos with the 7 1/2 barrel great shooter very accurate fun to shoot the only thing I don't like is the position of the saftey. With that said if they are in your price range I would lean more towards the browning buckmark or the smith&wesson.

Lots of good choices out there. My son is leaning towards a Browning BuckMark Micro, and it does feel and shoot an awful lot like my personal favorite, the Colt Woodsman. Unfortunately, they quit making the Woodsman about 30 years ago....

Another nice and extremely affordable .22 is the S&W 22A. They shoot well, are fairly easy to take down and clean - much easier than the Brownings. My buddy has several S&W .22's, and I prefer the 22A to his Model 41.

The bottom line is that I would try out as many as you humanly can before purchasing. Handguns are such an "individual fit" piece of equipment - much more so than rifles or even shotguns, at least IMHO. Several places such as Bill's Gun Shop will rent out handguns, and that would be one way to get your mitts on a bunch of different guns before plunking down the cash for purchase.

No .22 plinking pistol?!! Egads, I would be ashamed to show my face at work also.

My brother just got a Walter P22...was out shooting today, and it is super fun! Today alone we shot around 300+ rounds with cheap ammo, no jams, or anything. Seems like a really solid gun for him, he bought it about a month ago, and has really liked it. It is really fast, and hasn't had any miss fires or jams.

i myself own two Walther p22 with the short barrels not the extended ones.they are double action just like the hand cannons, they come with interchangable grips to fit your hand and are great price for what you get and the looks, have shot everything from as cheap as you can get to the cci stingers i found stingers work best for the devistation they cause over all bestt .22lr pistol for the money picked they up and the gander for 199.00 each after a price match ,so now i tote them both at the cabin like bruce willis and "last man standing" hours of fun no worries ,hope it helps

I would add another for the Browning Buckmark. It is the handgun that gets shot the most in my lineup. I have had mine 15 years or so. Another fun option is to add a Holo sight to it. I've used cheap ones on up to the EOTECH. It really adds a fun dimension to your handgun shooting.

Here is a shot of it close up in action.

447190699_Vpa9Q-L-2.jpg

i shot the buckmark one year for an indoor league. decent pistol for the price. only had a few missfires in about 1000 rounds and never jammed. i would buy another

As far as the autos go, my vote is for the Smith&Wesson 22a or the Sig Sauer Mosquito.

On the other hand, my favorite one I own is the Ruger Single Six. You get 2 cylinders. One for 22 LR and the other for 22 mag. Or the Taurus Tracker.

As an update to this, I recently bought a Beretta Neos U22. Got it out for the first time last night and ran 250 rounds through it flawlessly. Pretty darn accurate (at least as far as I'm concerned), too. So far, I'm very happy with the purchase!

Ralph, make sure you really clean out the magazines with gun scrubber and then re lube them. When I got my neos, I had some issues with the factory grease being a little too thick and it gummed up, but I agree, the Neos is a great little 22 pistol. get a red dot on that thing and you will be hard pressed to not take it with you all the time

Ralph, make sure you really clean out the magazines with gun scrubber and then re lube them. When I got my neos, I had some issues with the factory grease being a little too thick and it gummed up...

I'll keep that in mind. No problems yet, but I will clean up the mags in the near future.

As far as a red-dot is concerned, what does one have to pay for a decent one? They seem to run the gammut from $30 on up.