• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lots of teal on the move

as of today there is 44 days until duck opener. but I am going to try to put duck hunting on the back burner this year. I am going back to school. and duk hunting is what screwed me up the 1st time I went to school.

The BWT should be just about gone about the time opener gets here. Southern states have an early teal/woodduck season that starts in September. That would equate to probably lake August or EARLY September here. I think it would be a greet idea, even if it is only a 9 day hunt (2 weekends and one week). Think this would chase too many of the local birds around or out? Considering around opener, the only birds I see are Mallards, teal, and woodducks, I think this would make a lot of sense. By the 2nd weekend of the season, there are next to no woodducks, or teal around, and the local mallards have moved on anyways. 9 day early season for teal and woodies, then a 51 day season that starts a litle later in October, say 2nd weekend or so. Maybe we would miss out on a few less late season ducks when it closes before the big push.

ive always been confused when everyone says that the teal are long gone by mid october but ive killed teal over ice before and get them regularly into mid-november. one year i kicked up a flock of about 20 wood ducks the friday evening before firearms deer season

It all depends on the weather. I know a few years back I shot teal and woodies for almost the whole month of October then picked off strays as the ice started to form. Then even got a coule woodies over Thanksgiving that year. I know this doesnt happen every year but the weather is what pushes them down south. This years weather well we just have to wait and see what it brings.