• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water heater

Barony

So we're starting to get a slow leak and are living on borrowed time with the water heater. Went to a big box store tonight and saw 6, 9 and 12 year warranties on the models. The 9 year was $350 and the 12 year was $450. What benefit would I have with a 12 year warranty? What does the warranty cover? No sales people to be found so that's why I'm asking here.

Sorry. Those were the prices of the respective water heaters w/ warranty included.

So they're basically selling good/better/best. I'd get the best stuff if the price isn't a problem. It should be built with better components. Parts and service might improve but probably not. Hard to say from here.

Flush it out with that bottom drain spout every once in a while and you may not have to replace it for a looooooong time. Are you planning on staying in your house a loooooong time?

That matters too.

What type of water heater are you looking for?

40 gal. electric, but w/ 2 teens who think 20 minute showers are normal, I should be thinking about a 50 gal. Dad usually gets the 4th shower in the morning.

FWIW - I put off peak electric water heater when we built. Got it from the local power company for $365 delivered. The catch is that you either need it big enough, or you need to heat it hotter and then have amixing valve to cool it down. So you have enough hot water in "off" times.

We got a 120 gallon (yep, 120 gallon!) with no mixing valve. We have gone 11 adults showering and it does not get cold, but by the 9th shower isn't as hot. 5-7 showers easy without getting cool.

Other option is a 75 gallon with a mixing valve - prices ends up the same as the 120 gallon when you add in the mixing valve.

Operating Cost is nice, as its half price electric cost going off peak. Our was new, so easy to put in wiring for it, so not sure how much wiring it up retro would cost, as you need a secondary meter and wires run from main panel. And that 120 gallon tank is huuuuUUUGGGGEEEE wink

Just thought I would add that as an option.

If it were me, I would put in a 50 gallon 9 year probably for ease of install. I did 40 gallon 9 year at home, but gas, when my home one went out. About $325 at the time.

Good luck.

So we're starting to get a slow leak and are living on borrowed time with the water heater. Went to a big box store tonight and saw 6, 9 and 12 year warranties on the models. The 9 year was $350 and the 12 year was $450. What benefit would I have with a 12 year warranty? What does the warranty cover? No sales people to be found so that's why I'm asking here.

If you have the room consider a Marathon. Lifetime warranty, guaranteed never to leak. I installed one and have no problems with it. They are more expensive but if you buy just two water heaters you'll pay for the Marathon and then some.