• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallest Flathead

HotPocket

Maybe I should go with a Bullhead instead so I can feed it live minnows and such.

You know as long as I have had my tank I have never once seen a bull head eat. I just get a scoop of crappie minnows once a week and drop them in. They do not touch them until night. They hate my lights too. I usually just keep it dark in there all the time. It keeps them really active. I know they eat when the minnows are all gone and when I transport them to the river they get stressed and throw them up...

Now my northern and sunfish I had in there for a little while. they would go to town as soon as I dropped bait in there.

You know as long as I have had my tank I have never once seen a bull head eat.

I watch mine eat every day. They aren't shy when they are hungry!!!

They eat crawlers, fish flakes, pond pellets, bread, or whatever else I feel like throwing in there (or my daughters throw in there).

If you don't have a good biological filter, fedding the bait is not a good idea......but I think I got the biofilter working pretty good.

Been feeding them every day since June and have still only had the one water change. Even the chubs are happy in the water so it must be working good. Water temp is 75 in the tank and I can see the nitrogen bubbles coming up out of the filter so I know the ammonia is being converted to nitrates then to nitrites then all the way to nitrogen gas. The last step is done by anaerobic bacteria and the filter has to have enough calm "dead" water to allow this to occur.

I got about $200 invested in the bait tank since I had to put a new pump on the filter last week. But the peace of mind of knowing I can leave for work for 4 or 5 days without losing any bait is pretty nice.....the kids take pretty good care of feeding them while I am gone./