Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
NCLaker

Weighing your catch?

What is the safest way to weigh a Muskie? I have a Berkley digital scale ... I assume, you would just hook it to the hoop of the net and weigh it while in the net. Then subtact the approx weight of the net.

Would hate to do this cause I wouldn't want to do any damage with it thrashing around in a net out of the water. Don't think I would weigh any catch unless it were a new PB or very large ski (e.g. 48+ maybe).

Just clamp on that boca grip to the lower jaw and give her a lift. laugh

Only kidding. If you really wanted weight keeping her in the net is probably the best idea. I've certainly thought about the idea before but length and girth is really all I would like to deal with.

Why do you want to weight it? Nobody cares first of all. Length is the quantifiable measurement for muskies in the fishing world.

Otherwise just get a calculator and a seamstresses tape and do some math.

I've thought about weighing some fish to see how accurate the calculations area, but haven't yet. I'd say weighing a fish in a cradle would be the best for them.

Aparrently he does. Not uncommon to want to know what your catch weighs. I go for length too but somettimes wonder

Why do you want to weight it? Nobody cares first of all.

Hiya -

I don't weigh or even girth fish (a rarely measure any even), because I just don't care personally, but if you're into it, a decent girth with a seamstress tape and some number crunching will get you very, very close.

The formula looks simple on the surface but the way in which the formula was created is pretty sophisticated. The main background calculations involve the volume of two cones, and the specific gravity of water - so it's a lot more than a SWAG calculation. There are a number of calculations for fish of different body types, most developed in the saltwater world by - I think - Stu Apte among others. For muskies the lxgxg/800 seems to be the most accurate. It differs for other species - lots of salmon/steelheaders use lxgxg/690...

At any rate - personally if I were to worry about weight, the formula would do for me. Hard to go too far wrong when it's an equation based on Euclidean geometry and the specific weight of water...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Why do you want to weight it? Nobody cares first of all. Length is the quantifiable measurement for muskies in the fishing world.

Otherwise just get a calculator and a seamstresses tape and do some math.

Thanks for your feedback Shawn. I guess I have seen various posts/comments on weight (so I think some do smile. I was assuming that doing a quick weight of a fish would be quicker, easier, and more accurate than wrapping a tape measure around it and trying to find the thickest part of the fish (btw what is the formula for calculating this?). Looking for the best method to figure weight that will have the least negative impact to the fish since everything I catch is CPR.

Again, not really interested in doing this on every catch, probably only personal bests (talking couple fish per year if I'm lucky smile. If I fished and caught as many fish as some do on this site, than probably wouldn't care as much. But since I don't, catching anything worthy is worth knowing this additional detail for my own personal info.

Thanks RK. Why are their two "g"s in the calculation? Are they both girth?

Pretty new to muskie fishing so it is nice to know the info on PB's. I rarely do any sort of measurement (weight/length) of any other type of fish, cause I catch enought don't really care. But if I do catch something I think is PB than do try to try to get length, and weight if convinient.

Hi NCLaker -

Yeah - another way to say it would be LxG2/800. The girth squared is because the formula uses the volume of two cones...

They said there'd be no math in this job...

smile

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I do the same as RK and have the same thoughts as Shawn. I would never weigh a fish as it increases the risk of hurting that fish. People don't realize that it's not good for any species of fish. As the fish get bigger like a muskie, there is a greater risk to the survival of that fish. I use length and girth formula if I have the slightest interest in weight. Girth is measured while the fish is in the water, no harm in that. As far as weight goes for fish in general, not interested, so it's not just a muskie thing. Unless it's a for sure state record fish.

Netting any fish can cause fin damage, but suspending them out of water in a net has the potential to do more than if they are in the water. A cradle would be much better to use than a net.

Don't measure many any more, never girthed a muskie.

Just not really that big of a deal to me.

JS

I catch "ish" fish...... 42ish or 46ish or 48ish by using a float stick when I'm curious. Most of the time I'm fairly close, sometimes a thick fish will be longer than I guessed so I'm underestimating instead of growing the fish into legendary status in my own mind!

I catch "ish" fish...... 42ish or 46ish or 48ish by using a float stick when I'm curious. Most of the time I'm fairly close, sometimes a thick fish will be longer than I guessed so I'm underestimating instead of growing the fish into legendary status in my own mind!

I can vouch for this, he got one last week that he thought was mid to low 40's...turned out to be a fat 48 incher! When a 12-13 inch long bait looks small, it's a big fish dude! grin

I think JD is getting all the L&G = what weight so we'll have a chart someday for those that care how much they tip the scale; for me I could care less especially after touching the Crooms Massiff, anything else will be below the benchmark.