• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deck Building permit cost?

MuleShack

We are planning to put up a 16' x 22' deck and i just got the call today saying that the permit was ready to pick up.

She said it was $200 and that was the deck only...no footings on this permit. (they were permitted a few years ago)

Doesn't this seem overly EXPENSIVE for just a permit? Being there were no footings they didn't have to come survey to see where the septic was, it was just to look at the plans. On our last house, i thought it was only like $60 bucks.

This feels like another tax.

Seems about right. In shakopee mine was about 140$ 3 years ago.

The really SAD part is they will be there for about 5 minutes to check holes and another 15 to do a final. Isn't that something like 560$ dollars an hour?? Gotta love government.

Being a contractor I have dealt with many inspectors, and more than once I have seen them not even get out of the car!

YES, it is nothing more than a tax to pay salaries, new govt vehicles, buildings, etc. A lot of cities are really starting to get out of hand. There LGA funding has been cut so instead of cutting back they are raising rates.

I always love giving people estimates and seeing their reaction when they see the pricetag for permit fees

MuleShack,

Depending on where you are constructing this deck

the code has been changed regaurding frost footings, "unless the structure has been constructed on solid rock" it will need footings.(state code reads similar to that)

Just got done dealing with the head building offical in a metro area town. Just an F.Y.I

Seems pretty high. My permit in Ramsey was under $100 a couple of years ago.

Like someone else said, permits are more about funding and less about safety. My inspector looked the deck and footings over for maybe 90 seconds total, but spent a solid 10-15 minutes shooting the breeze. In their defense, it's probably a very easy inspection that doesn't require a lot of detective work. Nothing can really be hidden.

Muleshack.....I am an inspector in a large metro town. Building permits are regulated by the state building code and IRC. The permit fee is based on the valuation that YOU filled in on your permit application, also involved is the plan review fee, which includes 65% of the valuation of the building permit fee as regulated by the state...these fee schedules have been in place for years and have not changed in a long time. I take my job seriously, and do the best I can each and every day, as opposed to what other people stereotype about inspectors or city government. As was mentioned earlier, your building permit fee is based on what you put down for valuation on your permit application.

Several years ago I got a deck building permit but I don't recall what it cost. After the footings were dug I called the city for an inspection as required and they said to continue the project. After the framing was in place I called again as required and they said to continue the project. Upon completion I called for a final inspection and they never did come.

I don't believe that your permit fee is always based on the value of your project. I have built many garages in Douglas county and no matter the price, the permit always costs the same. Also true for roofing projects in town. I bellieve new hames are based on square footage also. I belive that different cities have different permit fees that are set by each individual city.

Muleshack.....I am an inspector in a large metro town. Building permits are regulated by the state building code and IRC. The permit fee is based on the valuation that YOU filled in on your permit application, also involved is the plan review fee, which includes 65% of the valuation of the building permit fee as regulated by the state...these fee schedules have been in place for years and have not changed in a long time. I take my job seriously, and do the best I can each and every day, as opposed to what other people stereotype about inspectors or city government. As was mentioned earlier, your building permit fee is based on what you put down for valuation on your permit application.

No disrespect intended for any inspector.

I'm just saying that the county is going to tax me for the value of that deck for years, but just to get a piece of paper and have it registered and a one time inspection is $200. If what you say is true, it should be on a flat fee schedule not based on pricing. What validation does pricing have to do with an inspector coming out and approving a design? the valuation is based on the material used (synthetic) which should not impact the price of the permit IMO.

Being in the residential remodeling industry, I have come across a few inspectors that must have picked alot of gum out their hair while in school. they should be stripped of their rights. writing down stuff like "appears to be ok" on permit/inspection cards. what good does that do me when its time for the final, and no one will ok it because of [PoorWordUsage] like "appears to be ok" either it is or it isn't! sorry for venting, but inspectors, some, make my job much more difficult! I'm for inspections i guess, because then things are done consistently. at least they should be, but soon you'll need an inspection to hang your toilet paper holder within 2 feet of the jon! and the price of permits, don't even get me started there

actually, my parents re-roofed, sided, and installed new windows on their lake cabin. or i should say, we! they never pulled any permits to do it. but when my dad went to the cabin one day, there was a guy standing there with a clipboard, and took off running when my dad pulled up. a neighbor from a few cabins down.

When my parents did their property taxes this spring, there was a large increase from the year before. IT WAS THE EXACT AMOUNT INCREASE AS WHAT THE MATERIALS TO DO THE CABIN COST.

just so you know, that "neighbor" does that kinda thing for a living. he notes upgrades to lakeshore property for tax purposes. kinda crooked, you have to pay for it twice!

Vister

Here in the cities a permit is req'd for just about everything. Up in "greater Minnesota" counties and cities that have not adopted any state code do not enforce issuance of building permits or inspections. The only thing required for permits and inspections is your electrical and septic design and system.....being assesed for tax purposes is an entiely different subject

oh, trust me, im aware you need a permit for about everything in the cities. i did high-end residential remodeling for 7 years, and some of the hoops they make ya jump through arent big enough for a mouse! and i mean high-end. 250,000 remods were called fluff and buffs, so we dealt alot with codes average joe didnt

I put on a deck my house this summer. Pulled a permit, passed my footings inspection. Built the deck like a brick sh!t house, but failed the final inspection because my 4inch wide stair handrail wasn't grip-able enough. They want me to screw on some crappy round rail or rout a grove into the existing handrail. I just don't think this is at all necessary. If i say screw it and leave it as is, will they ever do anything about it? What if I ever finish my basement in the future. Will they look back and see I never finalized my deck inspection and not grant me a permit for that.

On a side note...how hard is it to find a contractor to finish a basement with out pulling permits?

thanks in advance guys