Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chapo

Cutting Spearing holes

22 posts in this topic

I am looking for any tips on using chain saws for cutting spearing holes. I've used an old chainsaw in the past using a chain with the rakers off and on. Also what tricks to use when the water starts flying to prevent the recoil or chainsaw from freezing up or dying. I've heard from ice dive teams to use cooking oil instead of bar oil to prevent film and contaminants. My son has seen spearing done once and wants to go this winter. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Where are you located?

The best thing at first may be to tag along with someone who has all the equipment and then see what you think of it.

Get with me at the beginning of the season I have 2 houses and I could set you and your son up in one so you guys can get the feel for spearing.

I have an ice saw, but you have to cut your own hole. laugh

I just ask that you are legal with proper licenses and the such and that we spear on lakes without muskies in them or slot limits on northerns.

There are other darkhouse spearers here in this forum that you could tag along with also.

well i dont spear but bow fish through the ice.. i got a 16" mucuuloc and dont have any issues other than no fish around for 4 hours after cutting. it works best to shove the block back under the ice..

well i dont spear but bow fish through the ice..

Is that legal?

I could be wrong but don't think it is in Minnesota.

fish toys saws, YOU cant go wrong

you click on his web site under the forum were on you will not disappointed with his saws

Get with me at the beginning of the season I have 2 houses

thought it was three now grin

How much are one of those hand saws??

I have seen them as low as $99 and up to $135.

I am not sure what the MSRP is for them.

This is a small video from last year.

The ice was thin and I didn't want to get wet... so normally they will cut easier than what is in the video.

Hopefully your neck don't get a kink in it from watching.

the saws are out of control, and there not as loud as a chain saw, and dont throw water and ice all over the place. Worth the money!

the saws are out of control, and there not as loud as a chain saw, and dont throw water and ice all over the place. Worth the money!

True, but it's soooo much more work! I always use a chainsaw. Chain doesn't really matter, just make sure it's reasonably sharp. Also a little trick my cousin taught me. You'll notice when you cut a hole w/ a chainsaw you'll have a ton of oil in the water from the chain lube. Just take some dish soap with you. It's actually kinda cool to watch. One tiny little drop in the middle of the hole and the oil vanishes, almost instantly.

I got a Fish's Ice Saw last year but never got a chance to use it. frown Nice not to have all that slush from drilling holes to deal with, and then the chiseling between them.

Try reversing the chain also a drop of ammonia will disapate any oil on the service of the water. Ice saws can't be beat even for trimming the old hole or cutting an angle. It's a lot more work but isn't that what spearing is all about?

I got a Fish's Ice Saw last year but never got a chance to use it. frown Nice not to have all that slush from drilling holes to deal with, and then the chiseling between them.

Got that right, alot less ice to clean up when you are cleaning the hole!

Thanks for all of the info. I use to spear when I was a kid and used an ice auger and chisel to remove the blocks but have since used a chainsaw with mixed results. I tried a friend's ice saw, I think it was a swedish ice saw? It seemed like a lot of work and pinched alot like a wood saw. Thanks again.

Fish makes a saw that has a wide kerf.

That almost eliminates the pinching.

I agree.. there is no magic bullet when cutting spear holes.

No mater how you slice it, spearing is a lot of work.

still think in the long run the ice saw tops the auger and chisel route.