Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bolanfish

Insulated floor or not??

16 posts in this topic

I am close to purchasing a wheelhouse, but find most do not have insulated floors. Is there a big difference one way or another. Thanks.

Spray foam or for sure insulate! Wouldn't got without it now! Especially if your sleeping overnight!

I have stayed in a sleeper without any insulation on the floor and did not enjoy it. If you can do it, by all means do. It will make it alot more comfortable.

I've had both and would definitly insulate the floor. Heat is much more even in the house. It's still warmer by the ceiling but it's not a case of your head sweating and you feet and legs being cold.

Ive got an Ice Castle without an insulated floor and I guess I cant say I have ever knowingly been in a house with an insulated floor. Ive never really noticed it to be cold near the floor although I do have a direct vent heater which may help I guess. Would it really help that much if I insulated the floor? I always figured with the whole warm air rises cold air sinks it wouldnt have much of an affect?

I think it helps to dry the floor, in our house we have a 20000 btu heater and the floor will dry overnight. insulate the floor

I have an uninsulated floor and mine will dry overnight. I don't see the need personaly. If you bank the house properly. Always warm and toasty in my house and I have 8' ceiling.

I would go for the floor insulation. Either way you can stay warm, but for a long day of fishing it may be what allows you to wear your favorite pair of loafers instead of boots.

I've also had both, to echo sentiments from above go with the floor insulation. It'll pay off in the long run!

went last winter without to get house on the lake

had a cold floor this year we are going to insulate and carpet

Insulate the floor. I have a 12 volt ceiling fan, insualted floor and I can walk around in my house barefoot all day and not get cold feet.

I've built 2 houses without insulating the floors, and haven't noticed any uncomfort. Both had a forced air furnace, and I found it comfy to walk around with bare feet.

Just my observation.

Insulate it! mine isn't and your feet get cold really quick even if it is banked well. I am getting mine sprayed this fall sometime

I'm not saying one is much better then the other because i never had a insulated floor. I just was looking at it from this point, lets say you have a 6' x 10' fish house floor and you have 6 catch cover holes in it and they all are open. 6 holes open would be around 6 sq ft open to the ice and ice water. 6 open holes would be like a 2.5' x 2.5' window. A 6'x 10' floor would be close to 8'x 8' house wall. Now put a 2.5 x 2.5 open window in the middle of a 8'x 8' wall and would it really matter if the wall was insulated? Now add the fact cold air doesn't rise. This winter I'm going to test this because my buddy just bought a house with a insulate floor and I have a inferred heat gun. If it's a big difference I have a buddy that does spray foam and and I will have my house sprayed for next season.