• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Insulated floor or not??

bolanfish

I've had both and would definitly insulate the floor. Heat is much more even in the house. It's still warmer by the ceiling but it's not a case of your head sweating and you feet and legs being cold.

Ive got an Ice Castle without an insulated floor and I guess I cant say I have ever knowingly been in a house with an insulated floor. Ive never really noticed it to be cold near the floor although I do have a direct vent heater which may help I guess. Would it really help that much if I insulated the floor? I always figured with the whole warm air rises cold air sinks it wouldnt have much of an affect?

I'm not saying one is much better then the other because i never had a insulated floor. I just was looking at it from this point, lets say you have a 6' x 10' fish house floor and you have 6 catch cover holes in it and they all are open. 6 holes open would be around 6 sq ft open to the ice and ice water. 6 open holes would be like a 2.5' x 2.5' window. A 6'x 10' floor would be close to 8'x 8' house wall. Now put a 2.5 x 2.5 open window in the middle of a 8'x 8' wall and would it really matter if the wall was insulated? Now add the fact cold air doesn't rise. This winter I'm going to test this because my buddy just bought a house with a insulate floor and I have a inferred heat gun. If it's a big difference I have a buddy that does spray foam and and I will have my house sprayed for next season.