• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using Water Plots For Whitetail

This past weekend, I hung my stand for this bow season, and I got to tell you, this is the most confident I have ever been with the location I have picked out.

The closest water source from our land is over a mile away so I thought it would make sense to plant a water plot so the deer would not have to travel so far.

About 30 yards in front of my stand I took a very large Rubbermaid storage container and dug a hole big enough so that 3/4 of the container was underground, leaving 6" inches above ground. I then poured 3 five gallon buckets in the tub to nearly fill it up.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this or has any thoughts on the subject...

You need to put a stick hangin out of it so that mice that crawl in there can get out. Otherwise it will turn skanky and be worse than not havin one at all. Otherwise this is an old trick that works well. I would of made it so only about an inch was stickin out though.

It is a teriffic idea, i'd just be worried about the water turning stagnant. like mentioned, a critter falling in and not being able to get out will ruin it, so a stick or something in it to allow them to climb out is a pretty clever idea. if you have a camera over it, you'll have to keep us posted!

Two weeks ago I dug a hole out at my grandma's farm about 6x6 and about 2 or 3 feet deep, lined it with thick polly and grabbed as many hoses as I could get my hands on. Going out tomorrow to check the camera I have had on it.

Ya, that is a great idea, put a stick in it so critters can get out! I had not thought of that.

I realized my trail cam's batteries were dead so I was sure to buy some and will be making another trip up to the ol' hunting land this weekend to:

-Put a stick in there

-Hang my fully charged trail cam up

I plan on posting the trail cam photo's on my HSOforum MyBuckStory.com, and in this forum.

Two weeks ago I dug a hole out at my grandma's farm about 6x6 and about 2 or 3 feet deep, lined it with thick polly and grabbed as many hoses as I could get my hands on. Going out tomorrow to check the camera I have had on it.

Awesome, that is an even better idea, let me know how your pics turn out, it will serve as inspiration as I make my trek up north to my land this weekend...

Here's a few pics of the water plot we put in this summer. Deer have been at it non stop.

8-18-09deerpics043.jpg

8-18-09deerpics064.jpg

8-18-09deerpics093.jpg

8-18-09deerpics061.jpg

8-18-09deerpics089.jpg

Wow, that is amazing! Look at the ground around it too, it is completely wore out from the traffic! Awesome Gray Fox, when is the MN opener for bow? I hunt WI and ours is the 15th!

I did this before without much luck but have heard it works well if there's not a lot of other water around. Or if you just place it close to a food source. Deer like humans are lazy. They will go to your rubbermaid water plot versus a nice stream or pond if its right next to the corn field. In addition to the stick, I'd go to your local farm store and buy some mosquito dunks for use in livestock water tanks.

I have set these up in the past with some success. Lots of activity all summer, but then come fall and the rains that come with it and all of the "watering hole" activity dried up. They were back to more natural soarces of water.

It turned out to be a bit of a bust as far as "hunting" went, but anything that keeps the deer on the property and happy is a good thing.

I did this before without much luck but have heard it works well if there's not a lot of other water around. Or if you just place it close to a food source. Deer like humans are lazy. They will go to your rubbermaid water plot versus a nice stream or pond if its right next to the corn field. In addition to the stick, I'd go to your local farm store and buy some mosquito dunks for use in livestock water tanks.

Good call on the Mosquito dunks! I will have to do that before this weekend when I go up there.

I have set these up in the past with some success. Lots of activity all summer, but then come fall and the rains that come with it and all of the "watering hole" activity dried up. They were back to more natural soarces of water.

It turned out to be a bit of a bust as far as "hunting" went, but anything that keeps the deer on the property and happy is a good thing.

Ya, I can see how that could be the case come hunting season.

I hope it helps that the closest water source is a mile away. That coupled with the perfect location, in a natural funnel from bedding to feeding, will hopefully provide me with some great results.

Good input Neighbor Guy!

I think it will work well at all times of year in your scenario! They have to drink. We dug ponds in the hills in Wisconsin and the deer just pound them! summer and fall. The stick is an excellent idea.

Keep in mind deer have chemicals in their stomachs to drink and make use of stagnant water so I wouldnt worry about that ( a dead skunk is a different story, thats beyond stagnant!)

If we get any of those hot 70 or 80 degree days in the rut, id be camping on that thing. Excellent idea.