• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

getting started muskie fishing?

so last friday me and my friend travis went out muskie fishing. and i am absolutely HOOKED! i will mostly be sight fishing, or fly fishing. i do tie my own jigs and flies, and i carve my own lures. so i am set with cranks and topwaters. and i may start making spinners because the fleet farm here just opened a lure making section, they have alot of spinner bait shafts, and everything.

but... are there colors that produce better than others for muskies? what colors should i for sure have?

how do you fish muskie cranks effectively?

how do fishing spinners effectively? what do you recommend most for dressing the spinners? bucktail, marabou, rubber, or flash? i will probably try all of them, but i want to figure out what i should use more.

now for tackle, how heavy of a rod should i get? how long? what are some good starter bait casters?

what size line should i use? i do not use wire leaders, so i will be using flourocarbon for leaders.

what are some staple items i should have in my tackle box?

just post any tips you have for me to get me started on muskie fishing

thanks!

Kudos to Urban... stop before it gets worse!!! Stick to the Bowfins!!!

But you seem to be the type not to listen... so I'll chime in with few advices...

Set yourself up with all the proper and necessary release tools such as adequate sized net, Knipex bolt cutters, jaw spreaders, extra-long nose pliers, hook picks, and gloves (those gill rakers are extremely SHARP)...

Then set yourself up with a rod or two with adequate reels... start out with 8' or longer rods... maybe one MH for topwaters and small bucktails, one H for plastics and double-10 bucktails... Abu Garcia 6500 can be a good start but if you really OVERUSE them, they'll blow out eventually... spool them with 80lbs or heavier Superbraids such as Cortland Bronzeback, Tufline XP, Fireline Superbraid... I started out with 80lbs and now am using 100lbs... I make my own flourocarbon leaders... Basically... with Muskies... there arent any wrong way you can fish those lures... Just set yourself up with some bucktails (Mepps and DCGs) and Plastics (Magnum SuperD's, Curly Sues, and Magnum Bulldawgs)... Mainly its just all about fishing with lures that you have high confidence in... for example, my high confidence lures would be Double Cowgirls, Magnum SuperD's, Pacemakers, and Weagles...

As for colors... Black works and my high confidence color usually includes PINK!!!

Good luck on your new endeavour...

JK with yesterdays post smile

I am excited for you. You have 2 memorable events ahead of you, your first muskie and your biggest muskie.

Rebel pretty much covered everything. The biggest thing is that you listen to the suggestions above, especially the rod and real sizes that he mentioned. I purchased alot... ALOT.... of rods before I finally got it right. Other then that a couple cowgirls, maybe a junior. A prop top water, and a glider jerk bait or phantom and you are good.

As for colors... Black works and my high confidence color usually includes PINK!!!

How many fish have you got on pink lures? It must be a thousand to always mention it...

IMO, colors tend to be dictated by conditions/forage and water clarity more than anything, not some specific color jsut because...but that is JMHO.

I'm a rookie like the original poster and I've got a question about reels. I've got a 6500C3 and a 6600C4. Every time I throw my CG Jr, my arm nearly falls off. I'm only able to comfortably throw a SG for any amount of time. Are there any recommended reels out there that will allow me to retrieve the bigger blades?

There's plenty of opinions but unless you're going to fish a ton on hours and a hundred miles per hour an Abu 7000 C3i will work for bucktails (Specifically double 10's and bigger baits). The Daiwa Saltist also gets great reviews but its also a bit more spendy.

I'm a rookie like the original poster and I've got a question about reels. I've got a 6500C3 and a 6600C4. Every time I throw my CG Jr, my arm nearly falls off. I'm only able to comfortably throw a SG for any amount of time. Are there any recommended reels out there that will allow me to retrieve the bigger blades?

Absolutely. First off, welcome to the site! Second, normally when you have a different question than the original poster, you're better off starting a new topic. You'll find you'll get more replies and won't step on any toes smile Third, to answer your question, use your search feature. There are loads of information on this site hidden throughout the pages that really are worth their weight in gold. To get you started:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...a_r#Post1965373

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...eel#Post1948219

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...eel#Post1920595

Good luck!

Good advice here....I second the first couple replies...don't do it man! I was in your shoes not long ago...on July 3rd I was ruined for life. My life has revolved around muskies since that night. Since July 3rd I can't even tell you the $$ I've dropped on equipment. Also...after fishing out of my boat for 2 days a few weekends ago I deemed it to not be very muskie fisherman friendly so I totally gutted it and in 9 days I have turned it into a musky fishing machine...it's almost done....and then I'll get back to the mission at hand.

Just say no man....hahaha...

Aaah, what the heck, welcome to the virus!

Don't go overboard at first.........

I've basically been throwing a 1/2 dozen or so baits for the vast majority of the season. Couple blade baits, couple topwaters and a glide like a Hellhound and you're off to a good start. Oh yeah, spinnerbaits too, I've heard they catch bass and pike on them.......I bet a muskie might eat one....

Color was mentioned: I really don't put color as a high factor iniitally, I'd put versatility and assortment in a few different lures much higher. Couple basic staple colors would be a good start. Hard to argue with black.

thanks for the tips everyone!

its to last to go back. lol. im hooked on muskie fishing just as much as i am for bowfin and carp. im gonna tie up a bunch of muskie flies in the next few days. im gonna make them smaller, so i can throw them with my 8wt. i know a couple of small lakes that have muskie in them, none over 36". but they will be good practice for catching muskie on the fly.

and urbancowboy, i already have my first muskie. i got it while fishing for pike during the fall turnover last year

how big was your first 'skie? will you be able to beat it fishing in a lake with just 30's in it? chase "The One"!

not huge. it was only 36-38 didnt get an exact measurement. and i am just going to practice getting the techniques and presentations down. the fish are smaller, but the population is alot bigger