• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

evinrude problem

kiowa

I inherited a 15hp evinrude(don't know year) from my grandfather a couple of years back. I have used it infrequently for 3 years, but now I can store my boat at my house and plan on using it a lot.

This past weekend i took it out for the first time and noticed at trolling speed between 2 to 3 mph no water was being jettisoned from the motor, but when I revved it up the water would really shoot out, then nothing again at slower speeds. Any ideas about the problem and estimated cost for repair would be helpful (wife is expecting in about a month so $ could be ab issue)

Sounds like it needs a new impeller. Pretty inexpensive as compared to a rebuild of the motor if it goes out completely.

Twin city outboards would be able to tell you the age or someone on here might be able to by the serial number of the motor.

WW

just so everyone knows, evinrude 9-9 and 15hp outboards don't really jettison water at low trolling speeds, if one where to cup their hand under the "pee" hole for a minute you could tell that condesation is coming through. only when the internal baffel is overwhelmed does it stream through.

i'm still having it serviced for peice of mind though.

thanks for the input WW, you seem to be right on if it does end up having a problem

they are a cake walk to replace if you are good with tools.. especially jhonson/ evinrude.. but water should always be comming out of the protal even at idle.. not alot but a little bit.. run it around a bit, take a water bottle and run the engine about 1/4 throttle in neutral it should fill the water bottle in about a min or two..

broken line, thats why I'm still having it serviced, I have heard from to many people that water should at least be dripping out, theres NO WAY that a water bottle would be filled in a minute or two by the mist coming out of the motor!

I had the same problem with my 84 70HP rude, replaced the broken hose and still got no stream. I took the side cover off and found a small blockage inside, pulled it out and she's been running like a champ since. This motor sat for 3 years before I got it this spring. I thought I was going to need to replace the impeller, guess I lucked out.

Sniper07