• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NFC North Predictions

Badger

Bruledrifter? The NFC North pays itself 12 times so there are 12 collective losses right there. The whole division is going to lose only 16 other games all year? Are you kidding me?

Fishyguy you really think three team are going to have at least 10 wins seasons? When has that happened before? I'd bet never. If more than one of these teams has 10+ wins I would be shocked.

I'd guess the division winner will win 11 games followed by two teams that win 6 to 9 games each. The Lions will stink and maybe win 4 times. The NFC and particularly the NFC North isn't that strong.

I think the Vikes will win the division regardless of who is their quarterback.

Bruledrifter? The NFC North pays itself 12 times so there are 12 collective losses right there. The whole division is going to lose only 16 other games all year? Are you kidding me?

Sorry, man!

I guess I'm not breaking it down quite that technically. I'm just throwing out a guess, like the rest of us are. But I guess you could be right.... Who knows!

I really feel our division has improved a great deal compared to last year, and I think overall, it's going to be a tight race for the North.

I also really believe the Kitties are going to surprise people..... But, maybe not.

Fishyguy you really think three team are going to have at least 10 wins seasons? When has that happened before? I'd bet never. If more than one of these teams has 10+ wins I would be shocked.

Yes I do. I don't know how much of a NFL historian you are but if you go all the way back to 2007 you would see that Indy won 13 games, Jacksonville won 11, and Tennessee won 10. To take it a step further, since 2002 (7 seasons) there have been 4 instances of the 3rd place team winning 9 games which means divisions come close to pulling it off more often than not. In addition there have been 6 instances in that same time frame where the entire 4 team division played .500 or better. My point is that yes, there are enough wins to go around if you have solid teams that are lined up to play weak divisions. We definately have the weak schedules lined up.

Quote:

4 divisions did exactly that or less last year. The wildcard in that prediction would be the Lions winning a few games. It would only take a average record of 9-7 in the division to do that. Not an outrageous prediction if you believe the division is strong. Time will tell. As long as the Vikes finish on top, I am happy to be wrong on anything else I have predicted.

I'm not saying it hasn't been done before it the league. However, since 1999 only two division have had three double digit win teams: The 2001 AFC East and the 2007 AFC south. The quality of those teams far exceeds what the NFC North has now. I think the chances of the NFC North having one 10 win team greatly exceeds the chance of the division having three 10 game winners.

That's why they play the games.

I said 7 - 9 for the Vikings because (in particular order):

1. Brad Childress is the head coach.

2. Matt Birk is not snapping the football.

3. Special team performance is poor.

4. Minimal to no defense against the pass.

5. Poor QB protection regardless of who's taking the snaps.

I'm not saying it hasn't been done before it the league. However, since 1999 only two division have had three double digit win teams: The 2001 AFC East and the 2007 AFC south. The quality of those teams far exceeds what the NFC North has now. I think the chances of the NFC North having one 10 win team greatly exceeds the chance of the division having three 10 game winners.

Who ever said anything about THREE 10+ win teams coming from the north?

I'm not saying it hasn't been done before it the league. However, since 1999 only two division have had three double digit win teams:

"Fishyguy you really think three team are going to have at least 10 wins seasons? When has that happened before? I'd bet never. If more than one of these teams has 10+ wins I would be shocked."

You are right they play the games for a reason, but just to clarify on whether you said it was difficult to do or never been done please read the direct quote from you above.

I said 7 - 9 for the Vikings because (in particular order):

1. Brad Childress is the head coach.

2. Matt Birk is not snapping the football.

3. Special team performance is poor.

4. Minimal to no defense against the pass.

5. Poor QB protection regardless of who's taking the snaps.

1. I don't like chili either.

2. I believe missing Matt Birk will hurt as well.

3. Special teams will be helped with the return of Heath farwell (spl?) He's a special teams stud. Harvin should help in the return game, and we have good punting and kicking. But I agree, in some respects. I couldn't stomach another Reggie Bush td. 2 in 1 game... jeeeez.

4. I think we have a decent pass rush, but I'm not sold on our safeties. I wish we would've grabbed Brian Dawkins from the eagles.

5. HUGE question marks from the center to the right.

I'm leaning towards 9-7 as well. Splitting in the NFC north is very likely... and anything better than 6-4 outside of the division is a stretch. Granted, Stlouis, SF, Cleveland, seattle and Cinci are all very winable games, but nothing is a gimme in the NFL. AND Bmore, Pittsburg, At Arizona, at Carolina, and NYG are all very LOSABLE.

Could we sweep the Lions, sure, but it's not likely, we nearly got beat both times last year. We could just as easy sweep chicago or Gr Bay, as get swept by them in my opinion. 3-3 in the division to me, is very likely.

I think if I play huge optimist, the vikes go 4-2 in the division. Win 4 of the 5 winnable games, and go 2-3 in the losable games... That's 10-6. Just about the best they'll do.

------

One thing I always think is interesting. You ask any fan in the summer if their team improved from the year before, and almost all of them will say yes. Everyone after the draft, thinks optimistically that their team is going to improve.

Well, for every 1 game improvement, their has to be another team that is worse.

If the Lions win 4 games this year, those games have to come from somewhere.

Many of you are showing improvement by EVERY team in the NFC north. Significant improvement in some cases. If the lions are going to win 6 or 7 more games, and the pack is going to win 5 more games, and the vikes 1 more, which loss column is those 13 games going to go into.

Are you suggesting the steelers and ravens won't be as good?

If you ask Cinci fans, they think they're going to finish better than last year. I don't think Cleveland fans are real optimistic, but the year before last they were 10-6.

I'm sure SF fans think they're going to be better. I don't think Arizona is going to be any worse. Seattle ought to be a little better. What about Stlouis, they had a ton of injuries last year, will they be as bad this year. Probably.

I think you understand my point. If the division finishes 13 games better than last year it has to come at someone else's expense. I'm just not sure who.

Frankly, if the Lions are going to win more games, it's probably going to come from the vikes, packers and bears to start with. I'm sure the lions will win at least 2 divisional games.

Name me 5 teams in the NFL that will finish with a worse record this year, than last?

Denver

Indy

Phili

washington

Dallas maybe

It's so easy to find 5 that will improve, like Jacksonville. But it's really hard to find 5 that will suck worse.

IF philly washington and Dallas are your answer, maybe that answers some of my question, as NFC north teams do face some of those.

Here are my negative assessments. The positives have all been hashed out already (Favre, Allen, Rodgers, etc) so if I don't mention Adrian Peterson, the Williams, Donald Driver, or Lance Briggs...you know why:

-VIKINGS-

1. Favre needs to prove that he's still mobile enough, willing to put in the time needed to succeed, and that he can finish seasons.

2. Vikings offensive line is questionable. Run blocking is pretty good and AP makes them look great. Pass blocking is not very good and looked worse because of Tavaris. McKinney is overpaid for his ability and the right side needs shoring up.

3. Receiving corps needs to prove itself. Rice needs to show that he's an up-and-comer like Greg Jennings did for the Packers. Berrian is touted as the deep threat but needs to get on the field. Shiancoe has turned into a dependable TE and might be the best receiver so far this season.

4. Safeties are a concern and Madieu Williams needs to pick it up.

5. Childress and Bevell are offensive liabilities. They just aren't effective with the tools available to them.

-PACKERS-

1. Ryan Grant needs to prove his worth. He produced for one season during an incredible playoff run in 2007. Injuries slowed him last year and a gazillion carries pumped up his yardage stats...but only 4 TDs. He needs to return to form.

2. Donald Lee needs to be the wiley veteran and Jermichael Finely needs to stop whining and prove that he belongs in the league. This duo has shown flashes and could be the toast or bane of the Packer's offense.

3. Offensive line has remained a question mark since Ted Thomson took the reins. He jettisoned aging veterans at the right time, but his replacements haven't quite blossomed. There are many young studs with potential but need to prove what they can do. Clifton is about used up on the left side and needs to stay healthy for the Pack.

4. Defensive line was one of the biggest positives in 2007 and the biggest liabilities in 2008. Health is a big issue. The talent is there, but maybe not reliable due to injuries.

5. The 3-4 defensive switch will affect the linebackers the most. Kampman needs to show that he can cover. Barnett needs to prove that he's back from knee injury.

6. Atari Bigby was the Ryan Grant of the defense. Lights out in 2007 and nowhere to be found (partially due to injury) in 2008. Harris and Woodson are still elite but both susceptible to injury so the backups need to be capable of support.

-BEARS-

1. Cutler is a whiner and needs to establish a rapport with his team. Bears QBs are as cursed as Lions receivers.

2. Offensive line is big as usual but not as talented as they should be for Matt Forte, who makes them look better than they are. Cutler's release should also make their pass blocking look better than reality. The left side is certainly better than the right.

3. Receivers.... Where? (Greg Olson not included)

4. D-line is not what it was during their Super Bowl year. They need to establish depth and bulk to get their Pro Bowl linebackers playing to peak potential.

5. Briggs and Urlacher need to show that they are Pro Bowl caliber players even without a stud D-line. Wear and tear may be catching up with these two.

6. Defensive backs are not all that good.

-LIONS-

1. Culpepper is not the man and Stafford will get a beating. Neither one is an attractive option right now. If I had to cut off a finger, I'd make that finger be Culpepper. It gives Stafford time to adjust and develop.

2. O-line will make or break the quarterback this season.

3. Kevin Smith needs to show that he can be the man carrying the load, especially when and if Stafford is the QB.

4. WRs have been such an ironic liability for this team, drafting top WRs every season and seeing each one fail. Someone has got to break the trend and emerge as an everyday player, similar to a Donald Driver or Chris Carter type.

5. I don't see much in the defensive backfield to smile about. They will look better because of the D-line and linebacking corps.

6. Coaching will be the big unknown this season for the Lions. Jim Schwartz is at the helm but I like Gunther Cunnigham and Scott Linehan at the coordinator positions.

I guess that I should add my predictions, otherwise I'll get chided for showing up at the wedding but not going through with the wedding!

Packers 10-6

Vikings 10-6

Bears 8-8

Lions 3-13

I think that the Vikings and Packers will either split the series or the Packers will take both games. Either way it's a toss up for two identical teams looking to establish an identity.

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind the play when Favre got the flag tossed for the illegal block? Preseason and how many million dollars - must have hurt with that broken/cracked head, or rib or whatever.

Quarterbacks often throw blocks, and in 16 or so years of Favre playing I always see him throw a couple blocks per season. QB's often do it on double-reverses.

How many preseason games have you seen a qb have to throw a block? On top of that how many 40 year old qbs, dumb play call