Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
gvg_uwec

buying a 16' alumacraft and 35hp merc

My uncle has a 87 16' alumacraft classic he is selling to me, should I don't know much about the reliability of the 35hp merc. Does anybody have the same motor and are there any typical issues with this motor in the 1987 age range? The boat itself is in average shape and the only thing I know that it needs is a new impeller as the tattle tale stream is getting weak.

Garrett

I have about the same motor (96 25hp) and it runs good. I have even been able to fix/tune it when needed, thanks to the hlep of Marine Man and boatfixer and Frank, and others here smile So if I can do it, you can fix anything that would come up.

Also have same vintage boat (82) and I would look at the floor, as I would bet it might be getting soft in spots. We totally ripped the whole thing apart and turned it into a duck boat, with new floor. Not too bad of a job, but you need a place to do it and the time.

Your floor might be just fine, just something to look at. Have fun, the boat will work great for you.

We had an 83' 35 hp Merc. It was somewhat tempramental (sp?) on which oil you used or it would foul the plugs. We could only use the Quicksilver oil. The motor wasn't exactly a powerhouse.

Had a buddy who bought a sparkling clean 87 Smokercraft with a 35 hp merc 3 years ago for what seemed to be a good deal at $3500. The boat ran great while on muffs in the driveway but had low pee flow on the water and evenually the overheat alarm began to sound intermitently. He tried to drop the lower unit to change the impeller (it did drop an inch or so) but it was frozen and couldn't be lowered (even by pounding on it)further. So he then took it to a qualified marine shop who wasn't able to remove it either. A second opinion at another shop= same result. Motor ran like a champ except for this problem and I don't recall exactly what the problem was but he ended up having to drop anoher $ 1500 for another used engine that does't run as good.

I'm prety sure this was a rare occurence and given that you're buying from your uncle you probably need not worry. Even so, I would get the impeller changed before completing the purchase.

Good luck,

Stizo

a true merc motor cant be any worse than my crysler and that has been running great for 2 months every day.. other thann a head gasket.. merc bought out crysler..

I've got an 87' Mariner 45hp. tiller. She's been great. I still see plenty of Merc./Mariner's from the same era on the lake and most I've chatted with about the motor say's they love em'. She might be a little thirsty but treat her well and she'll be a good motor for ya'. Nothing beat's the smell of 2-stroke in the morning. laugh

Thanks guys, I picked up the boat on Saturday and put a new impeller in it and a new prop on it and its running like a top. Now it just needs a well deserved bath as it sat in the water a lot this summer. Not bad for 1000.00

Couple of things...just to go back to the motor, my dad has a 86' 35hp and it's still ticking right along.

After that bath, if you still have some residue left on the motor/boat, scrub her down with some vinager to get the scum off.