• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do torsion axles rotate on hydraulic lift house frames?

Moe Szyslak

I found a few websites with good pictures showing the assembly of torsion axle hydraulic lift fish house frames but I have a question about regarding the rotating axle. In the pic below you can see the 2x2 torsion axle protruding out of a round hole in the ice house frame. Does anyone know if when using this design it just rotates metal to metal with the frame or if there is a bearing of sorts? Any other suggestions on how to install torsion axles through the frame?

troller13.jpg

The 4 corners of the axles are what rotate in the pipe. The axles are made of harder steel as I been told. It will take many many up and downs to even show any wear. By useing the corners of the axles, there is little chance that it will rust in like a shaft in a pipe. My new house has the same set up, I like the way it works.

How do they get them through the round sleeve in the trailer frame? I contacted the company that I got the picture above from but they didnt really answer my question. All they said was that they do not cut the axles to get them into the sleeve.

Any ideas?

Wow! this is good stuff. I am planning my 8'x18' this is realy helpful! Moe If I got you my e-mail could you point me to some of the web sites you got info on? Also can any one elaborate on the sizes of hydaulic rams, and pumps? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Not sure where you can just buy the axles. When I was looking for some to buy I had even called Dexter axle company to have a custom made pair and they wouldn't do it either. When I saw what I wanted and the quality of the frame that went with it I just had them custom make my frame to fit my needs.

I am also looking at building an ice house frame with the hydraulic lift and torsion axles. After doing years of research, this concept seems to have the best quality. Does anyone know where you can purchase these axles that have a substantial arm to connect to the hydraulic cylinder already on them?