Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Circle Hooks & Tip Ups

10 posts in this topic

Would circle hooks be a good option for pike/lake trout on a tip up? Anyone have any experience with this?

Circle hooks are all that I use on tip-ups. The pike are hooked nicely right in the corner of the mouth, and the only one I lost broke the line.

A good rule is use 1-2 sizes larger in a circle hook in comparison to a conventional hook you would use in the same situation, when fishing them under the ice. Lets say you use a 1 o/t baitholder hook...well use a 2-3 O/T circle hook in that situation.

Do not use a True Circle Hook, us a wide gap version, like a Gami or a Diachie. A true circle closes the gap too much to get a good hook-up on pike and walleye.

A heavy fluorocarbon leader or a 7-strand steel leader works fine.

keep in mind you will be pulling the line straight up. so might not hook the greates.. when you use one in OW the line is angled.. if that makes sense??

I would think the pike would hit your bait and move with it. I doubt it would be a straight vertical hookset. If the fish moves off, there would be quite an angle to the line.

I use them all the time and have never had a problem with vertical hook sets. Pike ambush the bait, grab it and run before swallowing.

I use # 2 size owner light mutu hooks, and the gammy octopus ones as well (# 4).

They actually were primarily made for vertical hook ups (commercial fishing applications on long lines on the open sea), you do not "Set" the hook on circle hook...you reel or pull in a steady fashion.

I use circles all the time vertical, they do wonders on slip floats for a wide range of species.

A tip on circles on tip-ups is run your tension on the spool a bit tighter, especially on pike..they will hook themselves on the strike/take...just pull them in.

Besides being highly effective, the big bonus for us all is you will see far fewer dead pike due to unintended mortality with these hooks.

They actually were primarily made for vertical hook ups (commercial fishing applications on long lines on the open sea), you do not "Set" the hook on circle hook...you reel or pull in a steady fashion.

I use circles all the time vertical, they do wonders on slip floats for a wide range of species.

A tip on circles on tip-ups is run your tension on the spool a bit tighter, especially on pike..they will hook themselves on the strike/take...just pull them in.

Besides being highly effective, the big bonus for us all is you will see far fewer dead pike due to unintended mortality with these hooks.

Thats about the best advice you can get. They do work and they are quite effective both in hooking percentage and they result in a lower fish mortality when used correctly. However, make sure they match your fishing style. I've taken people out and they consistently miss fish with circles, just because it is slightly different than what you're used to. Try them out, see if you like them.