• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bemidji or Brainerd

wannabe mn icer

If you are a rural/country person who has lived in a town of less than 10,000 and thought it had all you needed (and your spouse thinks the same), I'd vote for Bemidji (actually up towards Blackduck). If you can live readily in a suburb as long as fishing is good Brainerd is the spot for you. Also you will find yourself pulled to travel a bit (like Lake of the Woods) so cost of living/housing may affect your fishing budget. Grand Rapids is similar to Bemidji, but is a relatively short run to Duluth. All have more of a "big city/suburb" feel than 10 yrs ago, but then I grew up 3 miles outside a town of 800. So did my wife. Someone from Chicago always thinks any of these towns are the end of the earth. Crime is lowest in Grand Rapids. Bemidji area does have a surprising crime problem, but they are making progress on it. Any area you will want to ask locals about where the better neighborhoods are. Sheriff may give you some idea of where they get the most calls. Brainerd has closer access to western Mn lakes and the dakotas. The best choice for ice fishing was said earlier.....Baudette. Can run to Winnipeg if you want to go to big city. Farther North will add time to your ice season. Also can mean a more depressed wife if she doesn't like winter.

Grand Rapids is more of a Bass/Panfish area with good walleye. Bemidji has better walleye close to town. If hunting is a factor, Bemidji is better deer hunting and Grand Rapids is better grouse hunting.

lakevet

I just moved to Baudette 4 years ago and have never regretted it. We go to Bemidji to shop and go out to eat for a change. Baudette has the necessities though. Unreal fishing and hunting. Bemidji would be nice too. More to offer as far as shopping and eating out. Can always drive to Baudette every weekend. :-)