Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
rharm

Shot size?

What size shot does everyone use for pheasants? I shoot with a 12 guage. What about differences in size when shooting steel or other non-toxics? What type of shot are you using?

You will get a lot of anecdotal answers to this question and I have my own. But the best thing is to just look at the science. You need enough energy to be able to break bones with one pellet. That in my experience is #5 lead shot or larger. There have been a gazillion birds shot with #6, but in my personal experience, it sometimes fails to break bones like #5s will. A good load is the Pheasants Forever Federal #5 load. 1 1/4 oz shot traveling at 1500 fps if memory serves correct. That has a lot of energy. Dont be temped by the 1200 fps loads, they are just not as good in my opinion.

For steel, #2 at the smallest; again, look at the speed. For other non-toxics, treat'em like lead.

yep, I too prefer 5 lead or 2 steel. Often times I will just stick with the 2 steel, as steel is required in some areas (WPA) and for some things (duck, goose).

Most of the time I'm shooting a 20. I go with #2 steel for all my pheasant hunting so I can go back and forth betweem WMA and WPA land and not worry about if I have the right shells in my vest. Or god forbid you get checked on WPA land and missed a lead shot shell in your vest or pocket.

agree 5 early 4 later the fastest fps you can find and dont even look at the price I usually only get 2 3/4 3 inch seams slower.

I was kind of curious about the nontoxic shot as well.....anybody? Haven't been real happy with the steel, but mainly used size 4 I think.

Quote:
speed kills

ahem... it helps a little but a dense evenly distributed pattern that is well placed is more important than speed. Higher speed will give you a little more downrange energy (not as much as you might think) and maybe 5-10 yds extra range depending on what you are using.

Speed for some equates to taking longer shots. High speed ammo doesn't magically give one more ability to make an accurate long range shot. Most hunters, including myself, have no business taking 40-50 yd shots at roosters as we just aren't good enough to hit them consistently.

Tom Roster the shotgun guru did an effectiveness study on roosters with steel. It was a throrough scientific study on steel and he ended up recomending Steel 2 shot. I think the article is still on the MN DNR HSOforum if you google it. When I'm hunting WPA's or other places that require no-tox I shoot handloaded bismuth. It is just bit less dense than lead and is soft so it patterns the same. I heard that bismuth went out of business a while back, but have also heard they are back. When I reloaded my 3 case supply my total cost was something like a $1 a shell. If I was going to have to buy something now days I'd go with Kent Tungsten Matrix. Hevi-shot doesn't mix with nice old guns.

Tom Roster the shotgun guru did an effectiveness study on roosters with steel. It was a throrough scientific study on steel and he ended up recomending Steel 2 shot. I think the article is still on the MN DNR HSOforum if you google it. When I'm hunting WPA's or other places that require no-tox I shoot handloaded bismuth. It is just bit less dense than lead and is soft so it patterns the same. I heard that bismuth went out of business a while back, but have also heard they are back. When I reloaded my 3 case supply my total cost was something like a $1 a shell. If I was going to have to buy something now days I'd go with Kent Tungsten Matrix. Hevi-shot doesn't mix with nice old guns.

bismaxx brand loads bismuth shot nowdays...

hevi shot makes a "classic doubles" load safe for older fixed choke style guns..ive shot this through my wingmaster and it patterned ok...

speed is somewhat a marketing ploy. if more guys would sit down and actually pattern their guns, they might be surprised what they find. i'd rather have a solid pattern so i get head and neck strikes, vs depending on a load that "breaks bones". typically, when hunting over pointers early in the early season i shoot 1 1/8 oz 7.5 shot out of a pattern master. big group of guys, dogs everywhere, wild birds, posting, etc, i'll load up with kent lead 2 3/4" 1 1/2 oz 5's.

state land i will shoot what ever loads ive patterned that do the job on ducks, which right now is 2 3/4" federal steel 6's through a patternmaster or 3" federal 1's through the same choke.

late season in minnesota, and here in south dakota, ive even loaded up with 3" lead BB or 3.5" 2 oz lead #4 turkey loads when out hunting by myself on skittish birds.

i used to shoot 6 now switched to 5. I've gone to the estate brand becasue its the least expensive. I used to shoot remington pheasant load, but that went up in price. they have done well for me

Often times I will just stick with the 2 steel, as steel is required in some areas (WPA) and for some things (dove, duck, goose).

Since when is steel required for doves?