Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IFallsRon

Does school start date affect your vacation plans?

9 posts in this topic

It's the same song every year regarding the start of the school year. It seems that we can blame the resort lobby and state fair for the 1980s decision to prohibit the start of school before Labor Day.

Iowa is now having public hearings. The rules there are more vague and nearly two-thirds of the state's public schools will start early this year alone.

Practice for fall sports started today (Aug. 17). I would guess that in some cases as many a 50% or more of the students in any given school participate in fall sports. The first events this year will be played before the kids have been in class.

The school year has become so tightly scheduled that there is more risk for makeup days at the end of the year. That has more of an affect on our vacation calendar than the last two weeks of August.

I don't think that starting school early has as much impact on commerce as when the law was inacted and I think that the state needs to be more flexible when Labor Day falls later on the calendar.

We have kids that show at the State Fair almost every year. The current rule works for them, since they are not missing days out of school. One of my girls will be there for 8 days this year. She will go again when the State Fair Horse show takes place, which is after school starts. If school started next week, she would miss 5 days of school before the end of September. We do consider this part of our vacation every year.

We typically do not take vacation right away after school is out, since we are in the field yet. Our farming really doesn't allow for vacation time until mid to late July, and parts of August.

My Kids started last week already.

I know the year before about when it will start so we plan our vacations accordingly.

They don't do anything with the fair..

It is ok though, by this time they are ready

Why not just go year round?? How is it they can do it many other moderinized countries but ours?? Wait...we have the Education Union. Never mind.

I would be interested in some teacher's opinions on this. I have had a teacher say to me that they would like to see the summer break shrink and the other breaks stretched out some more. I think it is stupid in this day and age to base our kid's education off of agriculture or the resort industry. Supposedly we are currently getting beat by a lot of countries in things like math and science. Stretching the school year into June seems like a waste of time to me. The weather is nice and the teachers and kids are so squirrelly, that not much gets done.

All I can say is the info both my sisters tell me since they are both teachers. Both of them say it would be MUCH better for the childrens learning if summer vacations went away. Kids loose a significant amount of knowledge over the summer. They also say the kids who can least afford a drop in knowledge, seem to loose the most.

Kids have had the summer off for years and years and years and we still have plenty of smart folks running around. I think the experiences you get screwing around in the summer at least complement the readin', ritin' and, 'rithmetics you get the other 9 months of the year. There is a whole lot more to life than what you pick up in K-12 education.

So starting a week earlier is going to make alot of difference? I'll buy that one when the Teachers Union starts holding their state conference in the summer instead of during the school year. This is just a play for more money. They will be working more so they are going to want more pay, and that doesnt count in the fact that costs for bussing and utilities and non teaching staff will also increase state wide.