• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

6 people in my family will be taking a chartered salmon fishing trip out of Algoma. I've never been on one of these trips and am wondering if there is a general rule of thumb for tipping? What is a decent tip? We're doing a weekend trip where you fish the afternoon one day and the morning the next.

We have a charter scheduled for this weekend. I was just wondering this same thing. If we do have a good time, I was thinking that I would tip the deck hands. If there is 2 then $20 a piece cash or if there is one then $40 cash. I figure that it is 10% of my trip and should be adaquate.

If employers would pay their help decently, customers wouldn't be expected to tip. It should all be part of the price. When I'm quoted a price for something, that is what I expect to pay. I just bought 4 new tires. I didn't tip the person who balanced them and put them on my car. Should I have?

Actually, if the service is good, I do give a decent tip at a restaurant. I'm well aware that wait staff can't make a livng off their pathetic wages. However, I do know there are certain industries where the people expect a tip, and they make pretty darned good money.

BTW, I don't order steak in a restaurant. wink

Lindy,

Do you know if the IRS taxes the mates on a boat at 10% of their gross "sales" to account for income from tips, as they do with waitstaff? Do you know if mates on a boat are exempt from minimum wage laws like waitstaff are? With waitstaff, if they dont earn a 10% tip they have actually paid $$ to wait on you as they will be taxed on 10% of your bill as tip income, which is why your restaurant bills all include a table/waitperson for record keeping.

If not then its not a fair comparison to be making. I get a little peeved when people automatically compare tipping of anyone with tipping of waitstaff which have their pay set at the expectation that tips will be given for good service.

I personally think the IRS needs to do some more investigating at just how many other occupations tipping has become the norm with as I'd bet there is quite a bit of unreported tip income being taken in.

Quote:
If employers would pay their help decently, customers wouldn't be expected to tip. It should all be part of the price. When I'm quoted a price for something, that is what I expect to pay. I just bought 4 new tires. I didn't tip the person who balanced them and put them on my car. Should I have?

After last year and inflation, I don't think the captains are raking it in like they used to.

And if the deck hands work hard to make your trip enjoyable, they deserve a little something extra.

A tip is equivilent to peanuts for most of us. It means alot more to the deckhands.