• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dove Hunting in North Dakota

I want to get started Dove hunting. Which area of North Dakota would be a good place to start. What time of the month would give me the best opertunities for resident and migratory doves?

Thanks for the Help!

Jim

Hi Jim,

It's been a while since I hunted doves in ND, having moved out of state and all for about the past 9 years. But in my time growing up there, it was my experience that doves could be found in pretty good #s all across the state. You can't beat the central part of the state in my opinion. Anywhere from the ND/Canadian border to the ND/SD border along US 81 is prime dove country.

Good advice.....we always hunted near flowers.Also near watering holes in the evening or late morning.You can also walk them up by walking shelter belts.

The toughest bird alive to hit consistently.

One thing I just remembered about Doves. If you can find a cut Canola field, with water not too far off, you have found a goldmine for doves. If you can get a landowner's permission to walk between the swaths, you should have no problem limiting out, even if you don't shoot all that straight. They love canola, and it is an ideal place for them to hide because they sit right under the swaths. The stuff is not fun to walk because the seeds easily get in your shoes/boots, but you can walk a field back and forth all afternoon and be presented with 20-yard shots. In my experiences the doves would just flood right back into the fields after we scared them up (that is if we missed, which happened a lot also)!

Good Luck