Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machohorn

Bullheaded, independant #@$#@

9 posts in this topic

I have my dog at a trainer, He was going to be there 2weeks 3tops, Well it has been 1 month and may be a few more weeks, Does anyone else have a independant dog? The giy training is one of the top trainers from Texas. On Sat he said he has only had 1 other dog more bullheaded then this one but that one one day turned the switch and ended up being a great champion and he see's some of those traits in mine. I'm just wondering if any one else has had these issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious, is he intact?

One of our trainers has a golden named Reggie that is one of the most fantastic dogs I have ever seen. He competes at a very high level in obedience and fly ball. He's just unbelievable. We were talking one day and he said that Reggie was an absolute terror when younger and that he almost got rid of him. So, just because he's a pig-headed little sheister right now doesn't mean you can't break him smile

Our Floyd can be pretty stubborn, too, but we just stick with our training regimen and he's turning out great. In fact, we just passed our therapy dog evaluation with flying colors last week! smile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our lab was really bullheaded for a long time. On top of that, think about the normal amount of energy a lab has, then double it an you have our dog. And yes we thought about getting rid of him.

You just have to be patient and disciplined. He has turned out to be a fantastic dog and the drive he has in the field is unbelievable. He doesn't have a great nose, but man he outworks every other dog he has hunted with, and as a result finds more birds. Not only that, but he's about 4.5 now and he' turned out to be a great family dog, is really patient with our 1.5 year old daughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He got all the working hardware, He comes from great lines and I thought if he was any good I would want to breed him out. 85% of the time he listens good the other 15% well thats what we are working on. He's good with me but the wifey has problems and we have grandkids 3 &4 and she wants him to settle down around them, the 3yo looks face to nose with him. He's good but if they throw something or leave a toy out he thinks it's his and will not give it up causing a little crying with the girls. So I figure it's money well spent to solve these issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you dont mind me askin' what do they get for 2 weeks of training? May look at doing this.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

200 per week, Well last night it looked like the switch flipped! each command was on time and rock solid, a few minor mistakes but overall the session went well, They are also getting him on plenty of birds, learning to 1/4 etc. Should be money well spent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be to much to ask the name of your trainer from Texas?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st name is Dan. I am not quite sure of the last name, All I know is the trainer I have him with has been trying for a few years to get him to come up here and work for him in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear things are turning the corner. Stick with it and you will be rewarded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0