Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
delmuts

Deer Tags

33 posts in this topic

The tags went on sale at midnight friday night! Got my reg. archery tag and first bonus tag sat. morning. My daughter bought her early season black powder tag and bonus tag also.

I also see that the new Bass Pro in Altoona opens this morning." There goes my allowance again!! grin"

Considering how much money I am not making this year, I have decided to leave deer alone this year.

I just bought my non-resident antlerless tag for zone 8 in the first season. All I can say is for the money I spent, my friends in Iowa could come to MN and shoot a buck and two does in some areas of MN. and still have money left over. I love hunting with my friends, but Iowa's cost is outta control, especially for antlerless deer.....

I can't argue with the high cost for nonresident license. I feel part of the problem is with so many outfitters setting up here in out state,so the politicians and DNR are going to take advantage of it.

I decided against buying the doe tag in Iowa this year and will go along to film only. It has gotten a little out of control, but as long as they keep selling, who am I to argue.

They will continue to raise the fees until the sportsman say no. Many other states have done this and they will continue to raise the fees until they cannot sell them.

I have to brag!!!I had been looking at pop up blinds for this fall. I was looking at the "Brick House" by Ameristep for a starter one, and the price would be in my budget. Well! I don't have to save any more since my twins and Ashleys' boy friend went together and bought me a new " Bone Collector" by Ameristep yesturday! As my early Christmas and birthday presents!! grin

You bet! grin It was kind of ugly the first time i tried to set it up! cry The second was much easier and a lot faster! Can't wait to try it out soon.

I'm bummed! The hunting clothes have been hung outside and are packed in a plastic bag or my back pack. Played with my new blind so i can put it up and take it down without much problem. Have done some scouting ( do more of it during the season), stands are in place. Got the broadheads so they are sticky sharp. Opening day is tomorrw and they are saying storms with strong winds! cry Friday doesn't sound much better for winds; saturday and sunday i'll be gone!

I finally got out tonight! Went to the ground stand early as i have no idea when the deer are moving yet. About 6:00 i see a deer coming my way.( In this area i can only see about 40yds. in any direction) It was a nice big doe. As she came into my shooting lane, i come to full draw. OOOOOPS!! Forgot to put arrow back on the rest instead of sitting on the bow shelf. blush She hears this very soft thud. Still have a good shot. settle in to make the shot and reallize that my face mask was blocking my pins!! cry I try to move the mask over past my nose,( Should have remembered this from other years!) no luck. she walks off! Shure felt good to be back in the woods again! grin

At least you experienced the "rush" of the deer moving in and having that "almost" shot... Nothing else like it!!!

Second night out! Same story but different problems. The night started out with a group of turkeys coming thru. Cool! Later from behind and to my left a nice doe walks out.(AT 12 yds. and down wind.) I start to reach for my bow, then see she has a yearling doe with her. Great! Another set of eyes! As the doe starts moving forward i carefully pick up my bow, just then it starts to rain carrying my scent to the doe.Instantly her nose goes straight up in the air searching for me. Finally i clip my release on the string, but the little one catches the movement, so now she is staring and of course so does mom! We go through the stare and stomp routine for a while. The rain had lasted only for a minute, so now atleast she can't smell me. Pee wee gives me a perfect shot, but i wanted mom! Mom is going to take a trail that runs in front of me at 18 yds. ( Oh Yah!!)I have to turn slightly for the shot. As i do so;( sigh!!) some dirt from the bottom of my boots falls to the ground under me! cry They have had enough, and bounce into the thick stuff. Stand there for a while and bounce away. After that the shakes hit me! Was dissappointed , but man what a rush! grin

Glad to see that im not the only one with that kind of troubles, Good luck

Got out a couple more times! Sat in another ladder stand were i had a small flock of turkeys come through, along with watching some wood ducks playing in the stream. Not much moving, BUT! Then i had to sneeze! I muffled it with my gloved hand, but managed to choke on it! cry( The wood are totally quiet!) After coughing my lungs out, and scaring the ducks away! I figure that is it for the night. Shortly i see movement along the corn field. Yep! A yearling is walking to me. Had a broadside shot at 8 yds. but passed since my daughter will be in this stand next week with her black powder, and also has a antlerless tag.( I have two!) so i pass.

Sunday night i'm out checking an area that may work for Ash with her 50 cal. next weekend. Had a nice doe walk by but about 60 yds. out. Later i had a button buck come by me going out to the bean field, but he fed to the right instead of left where i would have a shot. Oh well! Thye are talking more wind or rain for the week! mad

you're having too much fun Del.....it better not rain this weekend either, I am squirrel hunting up around Dorchester. Nothing better than humping my big wagon up and down ridges all day

It has been fun! I went to another little area that has treated me well over the years( saw only racoons and rodents!). Cleared out a ground blind, and spotted a perfect area for my new Bone collector blind, but it has to be a north or northwest wind. The TV says we will have NE wind this weekend. cry Back to scouting!!!!! grin

Sorry for no reports the last while. Was hunting with my daughter this weekend.( She is black powder hunting)I had some deer around me, but no shots. Ash shot at a buck sat., but we couldn't find any sign of a hit.( another guy shot him the next night about a mile away. He found the plastic tip from the shock wave just above the spine) She did use her anterless tag sunday night.( I stayed home due to being sick!) I haven't been out since.( stupid bronchitis!) cry Will see how the weekend goes.

Gee! I wonder if i'm leaving to much sent around my stand! grin

Went to a stand that is back in the woods aways.I ususally enter from a park, but they closed it now so it's about a 1/2- 3/4 walk. I hadn't taken this route yet this year. WOW! Between all the blow downs, and heavy under brush it was thick and nasty! Right off the bat i had some rasberrys wrapped around my forearm, which tore me open pretty good.Ok! So i'm bleeding. I keep going, no big deal. Hmmmm! I'm leaving a blood trail. Cool! crazy Miss the marker to trail so i angle thru the brush and find it. Almost to my stand, but i have to cross where two trails meet,( I've already decided that i probably won't hunt this area any more) where i trip and go belly up right in the middle of them! cry Slide my back pack off and get up and proceed to the stand. Left hand is throbbing, and forearm is still bleeding. Beautiful evening, but no deer! blush

Dont worry Delnuts everything went good for me I thought but still didnt see any deer tonight either.

Well, i managed to fill my second anterless tag yesturday. Both of them were on the small side, but fresh meat to me! Still haven't seen anything with antlers while on stand this year!(Everybody else is! cry) Still been a great season!

Last night was a contiuation of my goofy season! I have YET to see anything with antlers while on stand! cry( Although my buddies have been doing rather well! One got a 140 class 8 pt, several others with nice bucks, and i got a an e-mail from Wheely[ a buddy that is in a wheel chair, who hunts on his own] who got a good buck also!) I saw two deer working on the other side of a creek . One acted like a yearly with it running around and being nuts! grin I was thinking this could be the doe and yearling i had earlier in the season, but didn't get a shot. They kept milling around and suddenly i realize they were on my side of the creek and moving towards me! There was a big tree in between us, so i never had a good look at them to tell what they were other than no antlers. I slowly stood up( I was on a ground stand) clipped the release on and brought the bow up just incase! That was when i found out i had a problem! There were three of them and the one was to my right and watching me! blush She flagged and the three of them left the area! So goes my season!

No hunting this weekend as i GET to help Carol watch grand kids til sunday afternoon, and the wind is finally out of the N.W. so i could hunt my better areas! cry