• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Commorants!!!!!!!

bassislife

Sounds like this barroom discussion has gotten about 5 1/2 cans short of a six pack already.

Rain or no rain I am going fishing. That makes a pile more sense than this. We got cormorants there, too, and I kind of enjoy watching them fish.

I'm not kidding...the pigs really work. Pelicans and herons nest in trees - only cormorants will nest on the ground - that's why they call them colonies.

That's OK if they nest on the ground, but IMO, the damage is done from all the doo doo that gets shot all over the trees from them. It covers the leaves, and the trees start to die off.

I don't know if your area has filled up with them yet but Wright County has more now then they ever did and I know guys in Carver County that say the same.

Since they pushed them out of the Leech Lake area they just moved into different areas of the state and now our Walleye and other fish populations will be at stake.

They need to start controlling these good for nothing fish eaters statewide!! Open a season or a bounty!!

Just these fish eating cormorants, or all fish-eating birds? Osprey, bald eagle, loon, hooded merganser and others. They all eat fish in Minnesota. I mean, if we're going to protect the fishery, let's really protect the fishery! winkwink

Quote:
the "3 sss" shoot, shovel, shut up! well think about it.. a cormarant has to eat 3 fish perday roughly? so if you have 1000 ick birds thats 3000 walleye gone in one day..hmmmmmmmmmm

Yup. Cormorants are as obsessive about Walleyes as a Walleye fishermen. They don't even realize that other fish exist. Poor, poor Cormorants.

We can't just restrict saving walleyes to getting rid of all the birds. We'll need to net out all the bullheads and suckers that roam around and eat up all the walleye eggs.

They stock Catfish to get rid of the bullheads.. and it works!

Quote:
we should also get rid of all those walleye fishermen who eat everything they catch, instead of blaming muskies and cormorants for poor fisheries

Or maybe we just shouldn't listen to the Walleye fisherman that don't know what they are doing and blame there poor success on the birds.

You are right though, I know of very few Walleye fisherman that practice Catch and Release. It's either a nice one or an eater.

Quote:
we should also get rid of all those walleye fishermen who eat everything they catch, instead of blaming muskies and cormorants for poor fisheries

Or maybe we just shouldn't listen to the Walleye fisherman that don't know what they are doing and blame there poor success on the birds.

You are right though, I know of very few Walleye fisherman that practice Catch and Release. It's either a nice one or an eater.

Sounds like first hand experience here!!

By the way how did that Muskie and by the way how did that fat bass taste??

FYI: Did you know that Bass and Muskies were put into our lakes for guys that can't catch a walleye! cry

Quote:
Sounds like first hand experience here!!

By the way how did that Muskie and by the way how did that fat bass taste??

FYI: Did you know that Bass and Muskies were put into our lakes for guys that can't catch a walleye!

All the fish I catch I keep in the lake and boy do they stay fresh.

Quote:
to bad it is Federal law that controls them and the state of Mn, has no control over it what so ever.

It is the same law that keeps you from shooting Loons. I'm sure that if the Loon wasn't the state bird you would have it lumped in with the Cormorants. I think Cormorants do a good job of keeping the Sunfish population in check. If you have 1000 Cormorants on your lake (No, it's not your lake) eating 3000 small fish a day. Great! That is just going to make your odds all the better for catching big fish. How can you possibly say that 1000 Cormorants will eat 3000 walleyes a day? Do you honestly think Walleye is all they eat? Does your lake have that many fingerling Walleye to sustain that many Cormorants for a prolonged time. I guess what I'm saying is; If there are that many Cormorants eating that many fish for a long time, where did all the fish come form? You think I would have heard about the great fishing on this lake.

I can just see it now. You guys sitting around with your "Biologist-in-Training" badges on, holding petrie dishes and notebooks, coming up with the reason why the fishing isn't good.

"Must be the Cormorants." Others: "No Cormorants out there." "Ok, must be the muskies." Others: "No Muskies in the lake." "Ok, maybe it's the bigger walleyes eating the smaller walleyes...? Others: "NO WAY! Wouldn't happen!" "Right, right, what was I thinking. So should we just go with the muskies, or the red spleckled lat wing?" Others: "Lat Wing..herumph, herumph, herumph...."

Muskie fishing has been tougher the last 2 years. I'm going with the walleyes are eating the muskies smile