• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

invisible fence questions

mskyfshntchr

Question

I want to install invisible fencing in my yard. It is in town, approx. 60x60x60 on the install. House and garage will be another border. I have a small dog. Wondering what brands to go with and where to get them? I know FF, wally world, etc carry them. Wondering if there is a brand that is better and why.

Also, for self install, is renting an edger the easiest way to install the wire.

If there is anything to tell me, I would appreciate that too.

thanks.

21 answers to this question

The one that i looked at cannot remember the name but you did not have to bury the wire, it was held down with stakes similar to the cheap metal or plastic tent stakes. also check out petsmart or petco as they have the complete set too. Good luck, we are thinking of getting one for my parents who live in a town home in neb with a side, back, and front yard. If my brother does get it completed, i will reply.

I have a Sportdog unit at home and at the cabin. It has a wire that you bury but that way I could put it exactly were I wanted. It has 5 levels of which 1 is just beeping and vibrating. Great for at first so the dogs know that the training has started. I bought it at the big store in Rogers. The reason was the customer rating was the highest. The second one I bought was online. It was half the price and was basically new though it didn't come with the wire. I did use an edger but I just bought one. Also I think it's for dogs 10lbs and larger. Good luck

I'll check in on behalf of the big brand Invisible Fence. I've seen lots of posts touting units sold by various big box stores and that's OK, but we have had no problems in three dfferent locations covering areas of up to two plus acres. I have had the I.F. installers and my own installation with an edger. I did have a problem with the Petsafe wireless, but I seem to be in a minority on that. Lots of guys on this site are satisfied with it.

Here's what I would do. Google dogfencediy...and read what this site has to say about the various kinds and brands of dog fences. It is very, very informative. I went with their recommendation and it works awesome. In fact, I just finished the project here about a month ago. The dog now has six acres to run in and he won't even go near the flags which mark the border.

As for the trench...well, I tried a gas powered edger, but the cut was too narrow and not very deep. Then I tried an old chainsaw which my nephew used to do his and that worked pretty well...until the chain quit moving after I wrecked the gear. Finally, I used a flat-ended spade. That was the ticket!! Push it down and rock one way and then the other...perfect! It really didn't take that long either with a little help.

Also interested in this subject - I also have a smaller dog about 7 pounds...so would be interested in the ones that would carry a collar that would be good for a smaller dog - and also would be interested in the "wireless" system - as I live in a townhome - and have some area outside my back door with a "yard" but probably couldnt bury wires unless I did it at night under the moonlight grin

I am also not looking at a very big area at all..

The petsafe wireless system is adjustable. You can adjust the range from 10' diameter to 90' diameter. If you want a larger diameter you can "Double up" on the transmitters for 180' diameter.

The shock range is also adjustable from a beep to knock your lights out and everywhere inbetween. I have a friend with a rather small dog and they have this system. The coller is adjustable enough to not hurt the small dog.

Petsafe. I have an actual invisible fence installed by them with training. And if that is out because of your budget I would recomend petsafe, since it is the same exact system as I have. I have had it for 5 years without any problems. You can buy everything you need at ff

I have the invisible fence brand. It has worked well for me for the last 18 years or so. The only points I can add is that I also have the indoor unit. We have a split entry and our chocolate has full run of the house except the upstairs. We like it because it gives us a chance to have our meals without a dog under the table or sitting staring at us while we eat. Also if a guest in our house doesn't like being accosted by an over friendly Lab, we can sit upstairs. I figure he has 2 acres of his own to run around on outside and half a house to rule on the inside. I don't think barring him from the top floor is to mean.

My only other thought on the fence outside is that while they keep our dog in our yard, they do nothing for keeping other peoples dogs out of our yard. This at times gets a little discouraging. Especially when some other stray dog invades our area looking to get aggressive, or just wants a place to leave a load.

WS

I just ordered the Petsafe wireless setup yesterday. The place I got it from had free shipping, all the batteries included and rubber contacts added instead of just the steel ones. I think it ran 230 bucks. Let me know if you want the site I ordered it from.

Tully

I installed a PetSafe about 3 years ago. Works great. Very easy to install. I rented a gas trencher and placed about 600' of wire. Took about 3 hours total including mounting the unit inside the basement. The grass grew over the trench within a month. It is really easy to install yourself. Can't even tell it is there.

Another vote for the petsafe wireless. I bought one because everyone that had one loved it and so do I! It worked great for my 5 lb yorkie set on 1 and my 50lb lab set on 5.

one tip, just after you set up the system in the first week before the dogs know the boundry line real well take them for a walk with a different collar and leash or they wont want to ever leave the yard crossing the line. My lab will chase rabbits up until he gets to the line and then puts on the brakes...works that good. but when I reach for his "walking collar and leash he comes running to get it on and knows its time to leave the yard.. another bonus is it takes about 10 min. to set up grin

Iron Cowboy-

I almost pulled the trigger on the wireless one from petsafe. However, its says they only recommend it for dogs larger than 20 pounds.

You mentioned you had a yorkie hooked up to yours...how does that work for the little guy? I have a small mixed breed that is only 7 pounds.

Hoffer, worked fine, with the settings it has the first one isnt even a shock, just a beep. we had it set on the #2 setting and it would beep 3 times then a very small shock. I walked around with it in my hand at first to know exactly how much it shocked and it wasnt pleasant but I could let it zap my hand over and over and hardly feel it. when first hooked up the yorkie would yip once and go back behind the line....after he figuired it out one warning beep and he was jumping back. I dont think he was ever zapped more than two or three times in the years he wore it.