Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
broken_line

wonchester super target?

5 posts in this topic

i just picked up some 7 shot target loads shooting at 1200 fps for doves then realized it was steel shot.. is this to small/ light?? the last thing i want is a cripple dove..

used them last season in my 2nd gun during early goose season. Made it legal and the doves filled the gaps between the honker visits. Doves are pretty fragile and the 7 steel will do the job if you do. Make OK swatter loads for cripple in the waterfowl season too!

It would be like shooting them with 8 or 9 shot in lead. A little light, but could still get the job done inside 35-40 yards.

should i go full so if i hit they are done if i miss they can still fly? or mod and risk cripples at long distances?

A few things to think about. Steel shot is much harder than lead. This means that steel shot will pattern tighter because the pellets don't deform on firing or as they are pushed through the choke. Typically a gun will pattern one choke tighter with lead. I/C is like mod and mod is like full. Another thing about steel is that it is much less dense than lead. So for one ounce of shot you will actually get more bb's than the equivilant 1 oz lead load. So what does this mean for you and doves? It means that you'll proably get good pattern density with the I/C choke. You didn't say how many oz's of shot so it's tough to say for sure, but I'm guessing 1 - 1 1/8 oz.