• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

YOUTH FIREARMS QUESTION??

I live in SE MN, basically only hunt Pheasant, and Deer. I shoot a REM 11-87, or a Browning BPS. Both 12 GA. Its all I ever shot..

Have a BIG BOY 13, 5-9 180, and another 12 5-8 140. They have both been around the scene.. Well this year I'll break down and buy each a gun...

What would you purchase for a first gun? GA., Brand, Price, and reasons..

we've looked today at Fleet Farm, Cabelas, and Gander Mountain. I still need to check the local shops out too...

they both have shot a 12 and 20 and are comfortable with both..

would you purchase a "combo" gun(both bird and Deer barrel) or a single barrel general purpose gun? I know there are alot of good used guns around, but I would like to purchase new.

THOUGHTS???

After you narrow down your options, let them pick which one they want. Have them feel and shoulder the guns.

Its the fit you're looking for. If it doesn't fit right, they might have a tougher time hitting consistently.

Personally, I can do O.K. with an 870, better with a Browning, but I might as well shoot rubber bands off my finger if I had to use a Mossberg. However, that's what I bought my daughter and she shoots fine with it.

if there tall they might like the fit of a winchester 1300 kinda for a taller person. I agree 100 percent with wanderer on how well each shoots. I shoot my best with a benelli nova hands down I would look hard at those even if they cost a little more. light dont jamm. I was just thinking today I shoot a case of shells easily threw the entire season for 4 consecutive years and have never cleaned that gun and it has never jammed.

I got an 870 Express about 10 years ago and it had the matt finish and it started to rust very badly. I don't know if they've solved that problem but I would be very cautious - I mean that gun would rust in the 20 minutes it took to get home if we didn't dry it and oil it right then. My daughter got a Mossberg 535 (I think that's the model) with a synthetic stock and IMO it kicks badly. Maybe the best bet would be to set a budget and let the kids figure it out. If you find a good salesman he or she could get things moving pretty quickly for you and the kids may feel more ownership if they decide it.

If you could find a 870 remington I would go for that . Can always pick up arifle barrel for it later. The one i got i never had a rusting issue But then I use the best stuff out there. That is call Break free clp you can get at wallywold or gander. This stuff cleans and lubs and protects if the marines use it it must be good.

The 870 Express is the one with the rusting problem in the matt finish. The Wingmaster is the higher grade gun. I hae two old Wingmasters that work perfectly. I don't know if they've maintained that quality in the new guns.

thanks, for all the help..

after this post and my Sabot/slug post.. I learned a couple things I didn't know..

I think we will be looking at the Mossberg, and with just a smooth barrel, and not the combo.

they should be able to shoot deer just fine with the smoothbore, and the slugs are a little cheaper.

If this helps anybody else out... the Mossberg does have a 10 yr warrenty, the Remmington a 2 yr warrenty.

both boys like the idea of the thumb safety on top, and price is very close. the Remington is 289 at Dick's, and the Moss is 259. Price don't matter much to me, but I probably will watch the flyers for some specials. If anybody is interested in them , Gander, Reeds, Fleet, and Dick's are pretty close in price. Cabela's was a little higher.

when I move on, both boys will each get a 12 ga of mine so they should be set that way too. an 11-87, and a BPS 12 with Hastings Barrel.

Thanks again for all the input...

On the other hand, Today I was thinking.... to get the combo, first couple years they can shoot smooth bore for deer, and work way up into sabot's if they want.. we can always put a glow site on the gun..

for the money it's probably the best deal..

I am in the minority here, but for a youth's first gun I think a single shot is the way to go. I started my kids with 870's but looking back I think they would have learned to be better shots if they had started with a single shot like I did. I hunted with it for years and still take it out from time to time.

Art

I went to a DNR event many years ago where there was a long talk about slugs in smooth bores. Simply put the recommendation was to buy a number of different brands and try them out. I did it and it was a bit expensive but boy did I learn a lot with that experience. I must have tried 6+ different brands and really only found the Brennke's worked well enough for me to be confident of the result. It's a pounding to shoot that many slugs but worth the effort.

Great article in this weeks Outdoor News on the subject and the author points out that getting a gun that fits properly is a very important thing. I doubt you can find anyone who knows how to fit a gun at most of the big box stores.

Brenneke's are my go to slug out of smooth bore slug barrels too. 2 3/4 inch are plenty. I tested the 3's when I was running my multi-brand test and lost accuracy because they kick so dang hard.

I'd rather shoot my .300 from my groin than shoot 3" slugs. eek