• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What are your trolling speeds this time of year?

S.D. Ice Angular

I am currious to know what your trolling speeds are this time of year? Do you have a different speed for different lures?

I have heard some guys are going up to 5 MPH pulling Rapala's.

I can only average about 2.6 MPH with the trolling motors combined. I guess I will have to fire up the 115 to get up to 5 MPH if that is what it takes.

What are your speeds??

I'm not sure exactly how fast i am trolling, but guessing in the area of 1.5 to 2 mph. What type of raps are you trolling with and what depth are you running at 5-6mph? To me that seems extremely fast. Also about how much line do you run to get your desired depth at that speed so it don't keep surfacing?

The average depth of the lakes that i fish are 5-8 foot. What would be a good lure to use when running at that speeed at that depth? In all my years of fishing just never ran that fast so this is like totally new to me.

Thanks and good luck.

We are using the old Buck Perry spoon plugs. They are made of brass and can be trolled really fast. we also use 20-30lb tst super braid lines, with 150-200ft of line to reach the depths of the big pike during summer. You catch very few small pike 2-3lb)you almost out run them and when you do there is almost no fight, just wrench them in. The pike we catch range from 6-14lb. If the weather is stable fishing can be good.

Most of my crankbait walleyes have been coming at around 3 mph lately. The fish will tell you what speed they like best, so if you're not getting bites but think the fish are there it's good to experiment. Some days speed is just as important as color.

Quote:
We are using the old Buck Perry spoon plugs. They are made of brass and can be trolled really fast. we also use 20-30lb tst super braid lines, with 150-200ft of line to reach the depths of the big pike during summer. You catch very few small pike 2-3lb)you almost out run them and when you do there is almost no fight, just wrench them in. The pike we catch range from 6-14lb. If the weather is stable fishing can be good.

At 5+ mph! You can tell you have a fish on your line because you rod tip will straiten out!

i assume your talking about cranks, which i rarely troll, but when i do, its around 2-3 mph

the majority of trolling that i do is with crawlers/spinners with bottom bouncers and that is usually between 1.2-1.7 mph when i am targeting eyes

I noticed this morning that it is getting cool at night. That means that the pike speed trolling season is about to begin!

I have had excellent success in past seasons trolling the largest twin blade spinnerbait (1+ oz) as fast as possible before it will skip out of the water, about 50' behind the boat, directly in the prop wash. I suppose the speed is 5 to 7 MPH. Work water 3 to 10 ft deep and be ready for the pike to hit the spinner hard. It takes rather heavy tackle to handle pulling the bait, so a "Musky" type rig with a long handle would work well.