• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

will camoing a motor decrease the value??

broken_line

i have an old montgomerywards 5hp that i want to use for duck hunting but will camoing it dreacease the value significantly?

Yes, if the potential buyer doesn't like camo painted outboards. Value is in the eye of the beholder and that's it. Value is not for anyone else to judge but the one buying and the one selling.

The first thing I think when I see a "painted motor" for sale is..... STOLEN.

Having had one ripped off and speaking with LEO's, CO's, insurance agents, boat dealers, and pawn guys, they all look at them as stolen or more than likely stolen the moment it is painted. It is usualy step #1 or #2 in the "make it look like you own it" process. It is sad, but that is how it goes.

I personaly would not buy a painted motor for the above reason, so my value of your motor would be $0.00. Someone else may be able to look past it, so they may not see any decrease in value. It all comes down to what you want.

I use a burlap sacks on my 5hp jhonson, works pretty good and easy to put on and take off

We did that to my buddy's entire boat a S-16 Lund cause he did not want to paint over the nice red paint job. It was a lot of work but we did shoot a bunch of ducks. Cut a few slits in the burlap and you can add some weeds for that 3D look. I would never paint a motor unless you never planned on selling it

We made a little "cover" for ours out of the leafy camo material. Sewed in some heavy washers on the edge to help keep it from blowing off (just for weight at the bottom). Works pretty slick, looks great, won't blow off, dries quickly and no painting the motor. I don't think painting a motor is so bad, but they look like heck once they start gettign scratches on them, even old ones look worse.

Good luck.

I would say generally a painted motor will decrease it's value substantially, unless it's part of a boat that only use is to hunt.

Replacing cowling and a new paint job will cost several hundreds of $$, regardless of motor size and value.

Dealers replace cowls (covers) under warranty just because they are scratched, a "camoed" motor would be much worse.