Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carpmanjake

my first time

16 posts in this topic

oon friday me and my friend, travis. went out muskie fishing. we were on the lake right at sunrise and we threw showgirls, giant marabou spinners, big spinnerbaits, and cranks. we couldnt get any muskies to follow. then we found a strech of shallow water full of pads and pencil between shore and an islland. so we patrolled through it. right away travis seen a muskie. but it was to late and we were to close and the muskie shoot right past our boat. we turned around and started throwing everything. after a while we found her sitting along the pencil reeds. we pitched twitchbaits and jigs at her to no awail. then we decided to head back to shore and go pick up some suckers. we were back on the lake within an hour. we headed all the way back across the lake to our spot. we tied on some big hooks and put the sucker minnows on. we patrolled the area, and within 5 minutes the muskie showed herself and darted underneath the boat. we continued to patrol the area and look for her, then we found a different muskie sitting right in the lily pads.travis flipped his sucker to her like crazy. then she spooked. we were just pulling back when i saw a beast! sitting no further than 10 feet of where the other one was. i pitched my jig to her and was hit immediatly, i set the hook only to have it pulled out of her mouth. she slowly moved forward and stopped almost right under the boat! we could clearly see she was over 48" possible pushing 50". then she just darted off. both me and travis were shaking so bad you could feel the boatshaking. we continued fishing, but we never seen another 'ski. we didnt catch a muskie that day... but the sight of those muskies will last a lifetime

Sounds like a fun day, friday was a good day to be out. Sight fishing muskies sounds exciting, I fish a river more often than not so I hardly ever see fish sitting like that.. That was your first time though? I thought I saw a picture of you on here with your first skie a while ago? maybe that was someone else.

--or I guess you could've meant first time intentionally fishing for them--

--or I guess you could've meant first time intentionally fishing for them--

i got my first muskie late last fall while fishing for pike. but this was my first time actually going for them

I figured that out after thinking about it--hence the edit. Be careful, it's an addicting hobby. I know you're already addicted to fishing in general so this could be a particularily expensive species for you to add to the list.

also, congratulations on becoming a man wink

I figured that out after thinking about it--hence the edit. Be careful, it's an addicting hobby. I know you're already addicted to fishing in general so this could be a particularily expensive species for you to add to the list.

also, congratulations on becoming a man wink

lol, i am addicted. that adrenaline rush was all that was needed to get me hooked.

Ya, just purchased 5 lures from thorn bro and it cost me $150

i will be fly fishing or sight fishing for them 75% of the time or more. so tying your own flies and jigs is quite convieniant. lol

Originally Posted By: urban cowboy*
Ya, just purchased 5 lures from thorn bro and it cost me $150

I got 2 I paid $160 for.

I would hate to lose one of those!

thankfully i can carve muskie lures laugh

shouldnt be hard to carve out 'ski cranks. lol. most i have seen are fairly flat.

and i can for sure do my own topwater.

it may be time to start making my own spinners grin

Most important first things to have are a quality muskie net, and release tools including a pair of Nipex, as well as a muskie rod and reel spooled with quality 80# or better braid and quality solid wire ( 174# min) or flouro leaders (150# min)

No point catching them if you can't quickly and safley release them.

Most important first things to have are a quality muskie net,

im set with nets, we have a couple 36" frabill nets we use for cats and carp.

Originally Posted By: Esox_Magnum
Most important first things to have are a quality muskie net,

You'd be surprised how small a 36" net is after you put a 40" fish in it. Especially when the fish isn't behaving.

Originally Posted By: carpmanjake

You'd be surprised how small a 36" net is after you put a 40" fish in it. Especially when the fish isn't behaving.

+1 big time.

true. im gonna start a new post, so post all yourtips to help me get started on there