Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan L

Good pike net?

5 posts in this topic

What are you guys using for netting your pike? The net I have is not pike enough and the bigger pike are always rolling and getting tangled. I was doing a search and the Beckman pen and fin saver nets look good. Does anyone use these? I don't fish Muskies so I don't want a net that big.

I use a Beckman. Not sure on the size or model, but I'd say it's a size below a typical muskie net. Should work for all fish but those 50" monsters.

Dan,

Beckman and Frabill both make fine nets. Net size is sometimes a compromise between boat space and target species. If you're mostly catching pike under 35" (and who isn't?) a net with a hoop width of 30" is fine. Equally important is the depth of the net, and a depth of about 26 to 32" is sufficient. A flat bottom bag greatly reduces the chance of pike rolling up in the bag.

Cradles are wonderful things, but they're impossible to use if you're fishing solo.

Dan,

Beckman and Frabill both make fine nets. Net size is sometimes a compromise between boat space and target species. If you're mostly catching pike under 35" (and who isn't?) a net with a hoop width of 30" is fine. Equally important is the depth of the net, and a depth of about 26 to 32" is sufficient. A flat bottom bag greatly reduces the chance of pike rolling up in the bag.

Cradles are wonderful things, but they're impossible to use if you're fishing solo.

Agreed. If you plan on fishing alone I'd rethink the cradle idea. Go with the best quality net you can afford, it'll make your life much easier with the realease of the fish, and the more expensive nets do wonders to protect the slimers.