• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opening bait sites

Boar

I opened three sites this weekend one where I burened some hamburger grease an lit a anis scent stick, one I burned bacon grease an lit a wildberry scent stick an one i burned big paw an lit a new stick thats not on the market an was fortunate to get ahold of three sticks for testing before offered to the public, bob sent me three doughnut scented sticks to burn with wildberry for a berry doughnut scent that smells great, smells like a fresh doughnut shop. Any one try these sticks? They really smoke an stick to surrounding vegitation. Great for opening a site, It su cks to have to bring in a camp stove an propane to get a good burn going , might have to buy a small survival burner that I can pack in instead. Making a burn an these sticks should really get their attention. Good luck guys, Boar

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got 3 sites set up yesterday baited with 5 gals of corn,oats,mollasses mix and 5 gals of doughnuts and breads with mollasses poured over them.then sprayed the trees with a liquid smoke and vanilla extract mixture.i also soaked the ground with 5 gals of old fryer oil at each site.i checked them today and no hits,i added another 5 gals of bait to them again.if they don't get hit by tomorrow i am going to do a honey burn at each site hopefully that will get there attention.

Are you doing established sites or new ones. If they are new, give them a week or so and if no activity, then I would say the spots a bust. Nothing in a day, not to worry. I have some great sites that they take up to a few days some years. Burns will pull them in, but rarely do them. If I do, it is after they are going and to try and lure them in earlier in the evening with that extra sweet temptation.

I have to disipline myself to just be paitence when it comes to baiting, I get so worked up that I've rushed things an tried to make it happen imedeatly that I botched the whole deal. I gone two an a half weeks till I've gotten a hit, I just kept freshening the grease works an it finnally paid off. I'm gonna check today, an if nothing I'll burn some grease again,The rain this weekend has really has put a damper on baiting I hate having to plenish soggy bait.Boar

Superbee why rarely do burns? I do them to open sites but once there hit I stop, if I get a late bloomer, then I'll do a burn of different flavor to try to bring them early.Boar

Goin with 2 bait sites roughly 4 miles apart. Both sites have been active in previous years-spooked one off when baiting last year and it was never hit again. Too much rain on saturday-went back in today to re-scent. I've used "smokin sticks" in the past and they seem to work well.

I usually start off with 10 gallons of cooking oil and 100# of bait when starting the bait each season. Then everytime back in, I add another pail of oil and top bait off if hit. I repeat this everytime I rebait the site. Years of oil on the ground may be helping me to. That is usually enough to have them coming. When I do a burn, it is more to try and lure them in earlier and change their pattern.

I know one thing is for sure. I was unable to find berries or hazel nuts near any of my bait sites this year. I also went looking for blueberris where we used to pick them and theres nothing. I talked to my family that is baiting for me (and hunting so it is legal) and both my baits have been smoked. I am so pumped. trail cam has a chocolate maybe 200-250 in my favorite bait. if he shows up opening day i wont be holding back smile

I hope the berries dont make that big of deal. We are up by Mille Lacs and had a huge rasberry crop. Put the bait out Saturday and has not been hit, but this is my first time bear hunting and we never had a bait on the land. They sure spend time in the rasberry patch though. Wide path and a big bed in there. I was planning on a honey burn while sitting on stand.

nice vids hookset, but that tree kinda su cks. Good going guys, great to hear some baits are going, cause mine are not, the tough thing about no qouta, an this recent rain on opening baiting su cked much, the whole weekend was rain to about 5 inches an today was the first nice day an tomorrow it's suppose to rain again, it just washes away any bait smell I put out. I went out today an nothing on three yet, so I put out some beef scraps to rot an get some stink in the area, I dont like to use the rot method but I'm not rot baiting in hopes they'll eat it but rather to get them curious, the cribs are stocked full of fresh goodies. We'll see what happens on friday or sat. Boar