Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lee Lane

Timberwolves kill my dog!!!

14 posts in this topic

anyone who hays their back field or drives the back logging roads knows theires more wolves than 3000!! theres more wolves than theres ever been but since you did some sorta study or whatever you think you know. dont take issiac freaking newton to figure out theres way too many wolves and the ones people are seeing are showing no fear of man!! all i was saying!! The smartest animal in the woods would not take advantage of a lost crying child??? perhaps... I never said they were going to grab a kid up while waiting for the school bus but if the situation were right your freaking right I think they would take advantage!

OH and Ill tell any biologist and I have actually gone rounds with people from the wolf center last year. I do challenge their estimate.!!! seems like these people wont be happy till theres wolves everywhere around every tree and in every chunk of forest. I dont give a darn what their study finds ...... common sense says TOO MANY WOLVES>!!! anyways only one who seems like they did say anything intelligent recently is JB and i was picking on him "" sorry dude""

whoa calm down now.....I think there are many of us that agree with you Lee that there are more than the estimated 3000 wolves in the state.......and there are many of us that think they should have a season on them just like any other big game in the state. They are a predator animal and killing is in there genetics and if givin the chance and the right circumstances they would and will eventually attack a human in my opinion. But unfortunatly like you have mentioned there are to many "animal lovers" that don't understand hunting of any sorts and think that if a animal attacks it isn't the animals fault but ours for invading their territory......some people just don't and won't get it until they are adversaly affected by said animal......Good luck and hopefully in the next 5-10 years (or sooner) they will open a season on the Wolves......oh and the is Sir Isaac "freaking" Newton....he did earn the Sir smile

As much as I am in the woods, working, hunting, walking or what not, I have never seen any signs of a wolf, so I can not cry wolf yet.

I know around Milaca there are some crying wolf, but the ones I have talked to who manage large tracks of land say they have only seen a couple on trail cams (very rare). A guy I know who has had 6 trail cams out this spring and summer on a section up by Hill City, who has a guy next door who cry's wolf has never seen or has got one on the trail cam. All the years I have spent 1-2 weeks in Oct or Nov up at Larson Lake in GWNF, I have yet to hear, see signs, or witness a wolf. We are running 3-5 dogs hunting for grouse.

For me, it is hard to think this is as big of a concern than people are making it out to be. Kind of like the Yote who attacked that a person in the metro a couple years back. Terrible, but isolated. I just am not buying into this yet.

We had a cat 6 years ago that got out and was mauled by a raccoon. It made me upset when Honey had to die that way, but things happen when pets are in the woods.

I just hate to see thinking like what happened after the movie Jaws came out with the Great White Shark. A movie, couple of wrong place, wrong time attacks and everyone is up in arms over something that is not an issue at all.

I guess only time will tell.

I have not heard anything yet, but has a human this year or last year been attacked or mauled by a wolf in MN? I have heard a couple stories about dogs now, but I do not recall anything about a human. Thanks

Ive said it before. Man has changed the world and we have to deal with it. Too many people live in the areas where animals are to "return it to nature" and let the animals and forests and praries remain in their natural state. We have to manage the animals and plants and waters to achieve a balance of man and beast. The enviros who want us to let the "wild be wild" dont get it. take he hunter out of deer mangmnt and deer pops will soar to levels that are unsustainable and they will crash, same thing for wolves soon they will become too large of a pop for their environment, despite the images of a natural utopia that dances in enviros heads.

Ive seen one about 1/8th mile from our place along the road; it was either hit by a car or sick, it laid down as I put the head lights on `em.

Sounds to me like we should organize a hunting party large enough that we can line up hand-in-hand on I-94 from Hudson to Moorhead and push north to the Canadian border. Any wolf we come into contact with gets shot on site. That should take care of the problem. smirk

My dog has had to defend herself from woodchucks. Maybe we should start a campaign to eradicate them too?

I love to hear all of the part time biologists around here spout how they know the true size of the wolf population based solely on the number of wolves they've seen on their property.

If I'm looking for an accurate estimate of the wolf population I certainly would go to the people at the Wolf Center before I would believe the supposed estimate by one random local guy in Grand Rapids. Of course if you can provide some sort of scientific documentation explaining your methods for estimating then I'd be happy to listen, if not I'll go with the people who can provide such documentation and the people whose job it is to study the wolf.

For now this is just another thread where some local thinks he knows more then the experts.

Oh yeah and my dog got stung by a bee the other day. I'm forming an angry mob right this second to hunt down and destroy all the hives within a 10 mile radius. No matter what the experts think I KNOW there are too many bees in my neighborhood.

It's more than brutally entertaining that 1 person or even 10 people getting together thinks they have a real idea just how many wolves are out there. That would be basing your assumptions on a painfully limiting amount of data, not really a good idea if you think about it.

You've seen some wolves so you think there's more than 3000, there's NO WAY you've seen all 3000 they estimate to be in existence and what would the odds be that you'd see the same one's twice??

Ever do any simple math in terms of acreage the wolves inhabit vs the number of wolves estimated alive? They're going to be more focused in certain area's....

I love to hear all of the part time biologists around here spout how they know the true size of the wolf population based solely on the number of wolves they've seen on their property.

If I'm looking for an accurate estimate of the wolf population I certainly would go to the people at the Wolf Center before I would believe the supposed estimate by one random local guy in Grand Rapids. Of course if you can provide some sort of scientific documentation explaining your methods for estimating then I'd be happy to listen, if not I'll go with the people who can provide such documentation and the people whose job it is to study the wolf.

For now this is just another thread where some local thinks he knows more then the experts.

Oh yeah and my dog got stung by a bee the other day. I'm forming an angry mob right this second to hunt down and destroy all the hives within a 10 mile radius. No matter what the experts think I KNOW there are too many bees in my neighborhood.

LMAO..... grin

It is really too bad this topic got hijacked by arguements over population density and fear mongering over wolves attacking humans.

The original topic started back in the Regional forums-Deer River Area, was about an unfortunate attack by wolves resulting in the loss of a family pet. While the courts argue over delisting a formally endangered species that by most reliable estimates now exceeds population recovery goals by nearly three times, these incidents are becoming more common. This is a topic worthy of more rational discussion.