• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Minnesota Restuarant (non-chain)

One of my favorite things about hunting and fishing is eating at Mom and pop cafe's, supper clubs and bars while I'm there or on the way. What are you're favorites? Right now I could go for some broasted chicken from Korpi's in Kettle River. Or maybe an omelette with stuffed wild rice sausage at the Westwind cafe in Spicer? It's probably been 15 years since I've been there, but the only diner in Maynard MN had stuffed hasbrowns that I still think about on a regular basis. I want you guys to chime in with some of those town's and can't miss places that I have to see before my first heart attack. You never know when you might be driving by a beauty.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a restaurant, but if you are ever down in SE MN, you have to stop at Bloedow's Bakery in Winona. Its the best bakery and they have excellent maple long john's.

Restaurant wise, I'll take a Murray's NY strip and cheesy potatoes any day of the week!!

If you are ever up in by Zimmerman/Princeton area, Ridgewood Bay Resort on Elk Lake is a nice place to eat on a nice summer day/evening.

They have a nice patio placed right on the shore of the lake. They also have a large boulder wall now, with a waterfall in it right next to the dinning patio. They have a full service bar inside, but I love being outside. Great drink specials, live music every so often and great food. Burgers are very good, but they have dinner specials threw out the week also.

The closest thing to feeling "up-north" I know of around the north metro.

If you're fishing or live on the lake, they have docks with-in feet of the dinning patio you can tie your boat up to. They also have a launch right in the parking lot.

Prices are way down to earth also. Kids love going to dinner their and fishing or running around the docks while waiting for our food.

Im gonna throw out two of them. One is Pagliais Pizza in Mankato. The other is the restaraunt on Rapidan Dam. The DAM restaraunt I believe it is called, if its still open. No better then being able to catch a montster in the river and then eat a good burger 5 minutes later.

When I come "home" to MN ....There are several placed that I HAVE to go to for my MN food fix:

Tavern on Grand for a Walleye Sandwich!

Byerlys for wild rice soup....been a favorite of mine since HS

Toby's in Hinkley...On the way "Up North" never miss picking up a box of carmel rolls for the cabin! Now, if I can find something to get carmel off of the steering wheel :-)

Ok...Now I am starving!

I have a couple must stops,

just because of previous trips/traditions:

Art's Cafe in Moose Lake (lost its glory when it went smoke free but still a good greasy spoon) Followed up the next morning with 3 pieces of Pie at Betty's Pie.

In the Metro:

Patrick McGovern's in St. Paul: Best hot turkey sandwhich ever.

El Loro in Savage. Best Mexican food south of 694.

When I come "home" to MN ....There are several placed that I HAVE to go to for my MN food fix:

Tavern on Grand for a Walleye Sandwich!

Byerlys for wild rice soup....been a favorite of mine since HS

Toby's in Hinkley...On the way "Up North" never miss picking up a box of carmel rolls for the cabin! Now, if I can find something to get carmel off of the steering wheel :-)

Ok...Now I am starving!

where does the walleye come from?

Tavern on Grand does do a good job. I get the walleye sandwhich every time I go.

A few other favorites around the Twin Cities:

Brasa - Northeast Minneapolis or on Grand Ave in St. Paul. Rotisserie chicken, pulled pork with a lime seasoning, or a braised beef. Sort of a south western/central america/south american flare to it. Try their cheese grits, they are so good. And if you tell them its your birthday you get free cake.

Salsa ala Salsa on Nicollet (eat street) Great Mexican food.

I've been to El Loro numerous times and its dog food compared to this place, and Salsa ala Salsa has a bigger and more diverse menu.

Ristorante Luce on Cleavland and Randolph in St. Paul. Small little Italian place. Upscale place so a great place to take the wife. Never had a meal that was less the fantastic at that place. Make a reservation though because there are only like 8 tables in the entire place. You can also try Luce Ancora which is across the intersection and is owned by the same people, its also very good.

Gunflint Lodge breakfast or dinner is pretty hard to beat.

The Cascade Resturant by Lutsen is a fond memory. When I was a Boy Scout in the 70's we'd always stop there for our first "home cooked" meal after a week in the BWCA eating Mountain House freeze dried food.

There's a Supper Club in Webster, SD that has great Prime Rib on the weekends.

Remember Moonlight Bay on Gull from way back, before Brainerd turned into "Wayzata Lite".

You have to love the Gunflint Tavern in Grand Marais. Great food with the best roof top bar anywhere. Its a roof top bar with an amazing view. PLUS unlike any other roof top bar in the metro area, its not standing room only. Good selection of beer and interesting menu. Great place in August and for that February ski trip.

Hey carpking, you must be an east sider. I worked their about 18 yrs ago when it was the Italian Oven. Good choice but any true east sider knows the the best place to eat is Savoys on 7th street.

Originally Posted By: DARK30

Dangerfield's restaurant in Shakopee...got reservations for 5:30...big chunk o prime rib grin

DARK30..your a VERY brave man! ever been in that kitchen?

Been going there for many years and I'm still alive...you must know Gus then?