• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High Speed Left Handed Reels?

lunges

I have an Ambassadeur 6600CB that has a 6.3:1 gear ratio that I bought just for burning big spinnerbaits on top, it works well for that and I'm pretty sure they make it left handed (I have the right handed). It's geared high enough that if you get a ball of weeds you have to work to crank it in. Hope that helps you.

Daiwa Luna 300L, Revo Toro comes in Left as well.

I'm sure most of all the Shimano models can come in left, you just have to look a little harder for them.

I will give a high reccomendation to the Luna 300L because I have the reel and I love it.

also, some companies add a 1 to the model name which will denote a left-handed model of the reel. in some catalogues the left handed Luna is the 301.

You should tell that to my Luna then, Redig. smile

I will say I haven't thrown any Super Models on it though.

You burn double 10's with your luna? As in, cranking it as fast as you can all the time? Not just reeling them in so it's easy to do...

Im a novice with 'skis, but couldnt a abu 6600C4 with the 6.3:1 work for this? (Thats the only pike/'ski rig I have)

I realize just cranking in the big blades is hard on the gears if thats the way you did it. Couldnt you just do some rod pumping motions to save on the reel? Example: reel up the slack as you move the rod tip forward then pull back on the rod...repeat...and still keep the blades moving fast?

Or does this not really work?

You will strip the gears in the reel. The frame on cheaper (read most if not all abu's) reels is not rigid enough to withstand the pull of the blades and deflects under pressure/retrieve causing the gears to mis-align and strip. Can you fish double 10's? Sure, just slowly is all, but even then it's a lot of strain on the reel.

In time, burning double 10's and larger even with a luna will cause you headaches, the reel simply isn't made for it. The internal pieces can't take it, even if bronzeback is going to try and mislead you into believing it. 1/2 of his first season with a luna doesn't really count towards any data worth mentioning in this topic. You fish nothing but dbl 10's for 2-3 seasons and BURN them in (you know so fast that you have to keep your rod tip under the water to keep them from blowing out which was the original posters criteria) and you're reel is still kicking, you might have a leg to stand on.

Actually my second season on the reel, and the only ache I get is in my arm. If you're out of shape then no, the Luna probably isn't the best reel for you to burn 10's with, and yeah maybe it'll break down in a while, but like I said earlier- zero problems. And why would I fish nothing but double 10's? I'm not that kind of guy. Still standing on both legs, Redig. Glad you have this guy's best interests at heart though.

Actually my second season on the reel, and the only ache I get is in my arm. If you're out of shape then no, the Luna probably isn't the best reel for you to burn 10's with, and yeah maybe it'll break down in a while, but like I said earlier- zero problems. And why would I fish nothing but double 10's? I'm not that kind of guy. Still standing on both legs, Redig. Glad you have this guy's best interests at heart though.

That's great, you're still not reading the original posters request. A luna is not a high speed reel. This has nothing to do with what type of guy you are and how you fish. The relevance for you always fishing double 10's is that his intention is to ALWAYS FISH DOUBLE 10's with the reel he's inquiring about, that's what it's purpose would be, hence if you don't burn 10's all the time with a luna, not really a good candidate to reply with.

It's not this difficult, really.

I don't burn blades often but my Toro has done well so far when needed to burn. If you have the hand speed to burn with an Induron it will do well to. Want the best look at the salt water reels. With those you give up levelwind, added weight, and a lever vers pushbutton. Not my thing but works well for some. Lunas are good reels, my partners run them without to much problems. The Toros the only muskie reel Abu makes IMO, I run Shimanos and Okumas along with a Toro and no breakdowns yet. Toro on blades, Induron for ripping dawgs, shimanos on the spare rods for whatever. I have over 200 hours on the Okuma this season alone ripping dawgs, I think they hold up well.

you joined less than three months before me but have triple the posts...just saying, think more along the lines of hours left on the clock wink . Weekdays aren't too busy when you're working the front desk of a hotel. And hey, if me suggesting that reel, then you beating it down helps that guy not get a Luna then I'm fine with that.

I own 4 Lunas and really like the reels, but they simply are not intended for burning big blades. There's a reason we're using reels that can pull a halibut off the bottom to pull the blades. They simply will not stand the constant torque from double 10s being zipped along.

There's also a difference between reeling fast and burning.....when you get a headache trying to keep up with a Baby Girl 'cause it's moving so fast..now that's burning!

I realize just cranking in the big blades is hard on the gears if thats the way you did it. Couldnt you just do some rod pumping motions to save on the reel? Example: reel up the slack as you move the rod tip forward then pull back on the rod...repeat...and still keep the blades moving fast?

Any input on this one? Couldnt this save on a reel?

I ask because at this point i dont musky fish enough to have multiple set-ups so I would like my 6600c4 (higher speed 6.3:1) to be multi purpose. Not putting that many hours on it in a season.

That 6600 has zero (0) power to it and would actually be harder to burn big blades then getting a powerhandle for a 6500 and reeling faster. Not to mention that they are terrible for fighting big fish with. The 6600 has very limited use for muskie applications. I'd sell it and look for something else on the used forum.

Originally Posted By: SM1

Any input on this one? Couldnt this save on a reel?

I ask because at this point i dont musky fish enough to have multiple set-ups so I would like my 6600c4 (higher speed 6.3:1) to be multi purpose. Not putting that many hours on it in a season.

I replied directly after your post.