• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aitkin County Grouse

Is anyone willing to share their experience hunting grouse in Aitkin County. It looks like there is plenty of state and county land open for hunting, I just don't know if there is cover on the land.

I'm not looking for your secret spot, just a general yes, give it a try, or don't bother.

Thank you for the input. Any other suggestions? I've never been north of Grand Rapids, so I may try the Marcel area.

Mostly hunted between Duluth and Isabella. Tried an early season trip last year to Walker/Cass Lake without much success. It was hot, and the leaves were still up.

I plan to do some research too, just thought I'd try and narrow it down some. Thanks

I would say it is worth a try. I have been meaning to pick up a map of the Aitkin, Pine, and Millacs public lands and having a look at them. All three counties should have good grousing somewere. Just a matter of looking at the public land available and doing a little scouting.

Good luck.

When I lived in Aitkin and had some good spots locked down I considered it one of the top 3 areas in the state. I still hunt there often, and always see decent numbers of birds. There is a LOT of land to funnel through, and only certain areas hold good numbers. It's not like going to LOW Co. or up near Grygla where you can see a bird just about anywhere you look at times...

There are good spots in most places you think there should be. The trick is to use some of that spare time to your advantage sparetime and get out and hunt for spots...I'm not trying to be a wise guy with that answer..it's just that all of the spots I hunt were obtained by just getting out there and putting in the time..get a map and start driving around and searching for good cover on huntible land..If the question is what type of cover you should be looking for there are plenty of guys that can help you with that here!!!..I think that area is great! Slightly more pressure than further north as mentioned earlier but get off the beaten path, hunt durring the week if you can,and rely on a good dog if that is an option..And you will find birds!..Good luck this season and get out there and shoot some birds..Uplander

The northern part of Aitkin County has alot more grouse then the southern part. Plenty of state/federal/blandin/tax forefeit land. Find a logging trail, which is'nt hard and hunt. Look for new growth of popple, if the woods are mature you won't see as many. If you have a good mix of new growth popple/aspen, pine, tag alder, you'll see plenty of grouse. So the answer is yes, one of the best spots in the state.

I agree with Surewood and Uplander. Aitkin Co. is very good grousin country. Get yourself a Delorme (sp?), the red map book pages 64 & 65 and start with the blue dotted lines. They are minimum maintanence roads and old loggin trails. Those roads and trails will lead you to your sweet spots. Half the fun of hunting is finding your own spots.

I'll even give you your first set of trails. Don't discount south Aitkin Co. Down by Mcgrath, off of Hwy 65 is the White Pine Forest Roads, East and West. I'll bet there is 25 miles or more of walking trails. Some great, some good and some not so good. That's for you to find out. It's why they call it huntin' and not gettin'.

For some reason the deer ticks are thick in that area. Make sure you and your dog are prepared (top spot and bug spray) and check your dog and self for ticks.