• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Subwoofer is Loud for a moment, then Soft...

TruthWalleyes

Question

I bought a 5" subwoofer at a liquidation sale for super cheap a month or so ago. I just got the speaker and a box separate and assembled myself. This speaker has 2 separate hook ups for it (4 wires). I currently have only one of them hooked up. Is this the correct way of hooking this speaker up?

Problem:

The sub seems to work for a couple seconds, and then it is quiet. I will open the trunk and i can push on the speaker, then it will be loud for a second or two and go soft again...what is going on here? I do not think it is the amplifier but i will rule that out this weekend. I did check all conections and they are solid. Is the sub hooked up correctly? No directions with this cheap speaker of course!!

Appreciate any expertise on this in advance!!

Thanks,

9 answers to this question

I'll let others who have more experience chime in on this (I am a little rusty), but it sounds like instead of having a line level input directly from the headunit to the amp that includes/combines the L & R channel, it has a two channel hook up (can't remember what its called). So if you are hooking up just two wires, then you are just getting either the right, or the left channel, not both.

Speakers usually have a make and model number printed on the back of them. Maybe you can enter the numbers you find into Google and get an instruction page or something.

Have you tried both speaker connectors? Same results? I've never really heard of a speaker that takes two inputs and mixes them. If that's what you have, it's pretty uncommon.

Last year I replaced a couple door speakers and the replacements also had two sets of hookups on the speakers. One was the regular speaker connection, the other was for 12V. They had some LED's or something built in. I never hooked that part up because who really wants light coming out the door speaker panels?

I think I remember that a single sub with two inputs is a dual voice coil sub. I think we sold a few of these back in the day when I worked at BB. Not super common if I remember correctly.

I think you said it best in your first post- you bought it really cheap at a liquidation sale. You might have a lemon on your hand.

Go to one of the pawn shops in Kato, make em an offer on a set of subs in a box, you'd be shocked at the deal they will give you. I got 2 12s (Pioneers) in a box with a Kenwood amp for $200, no tax. Been running them for over 2 years now with no trouble and they sound great.