• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best blood trail light

I have tried the blue lights for trailing blood and would rather just use a flashlight.

If I have a hard time finding small blood specks, Then I use a gas lantern with tin foil wapped around the back half to help spread the light towards the front.

This works very well.

I use use a coleman lantern and tin foil like Harvey mentions along with my high quality Mammut Lucido head lamp. On occasion I've used a 2,000,000,000 candle power rechargeable spot light as well. I found a buddies deer one time strictly off the reflection from it's eyeballs. They still shine even when they are dead. I've heard those blood tracking lights are a total waste of money, but haven't had experience myself.

I havent found a good blood light yet and dont know if I ever will. A simple flashlight works just as good. I have also tried a product called "Blue Star" it a spray that you mist out of a spray bottle and when it hits blood it glows bright blue. I had mixed results with it the first time I used it it worked perfect, it would glow blue and sure enough when you looked at it with a light there was blood. The next time I used it though it didnt work as well you would spray it and it would glow in spots where I know there was no blood. So im not sure whether I like it or not yet but its pretty cheap so your not really our much to give it a try.

I will echo what has already been said, A white fuel lantern has worked the best (be very careful in the dry fall woods, they will start a fire if careless). I have a gerber blood light, it offers absolutly no added visability above the lantern or a good flashlight.

hard to beat the old school fuel lanterns. but i got the primos bloodtracking light for a gift from one of my brothers a few years ago. the one that projects a red, green or red and green lights. blood stands out like a sore thumb. However, you have to know what it looks like in order to see it! It looks like used motor oil on grass and leaves. blacker than night and shiny. thats how you know its blood. blood has to be wet to stand out the most. with the lights on together, blood looks darker than any shadow, so you can find it. just have to know what u are looking for!