• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flathead bait---add a little sweetner?

Carp-fisher

Anyone have any tips or thoughts on modifying the standard live baitfish presentation in an attempt to attract flatheads better?

I've seen the rattling bobber and that seems interesting. Here's a few more ideas I've thought about but haven't tried:

1. Cutting the spines off the bullhead.

2. Cutting the baitfish so they are injured and bleeding, but still plenty alive (this is probably difficult)

3. Adding a small chunk of cutbait or full nightcrawler on the same hook that the bullhead is hooked on.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my buddy adds minced garlic to the bait well once and a while it seems to work and it smells like an Italian restaraunt grin

we even tried hemoriod medicine because of the shark oil in it but all it did was shrink the creek chub into a fathead laugh

my buddy adds minced garlic to the bait well once and a while it seems to work and it smells like an Italian restaraunt grin

we even tried hemoriod medicine because of the shark oil in it but all it did was shrink the creek chub into a fathead laugh

LOL>.. good to know that stuff works if I ever need it. laugh

Anyone have any tips or thoughts on modifying the standard live baitfish presentation in an attempt to attract flatheads better?

I've cut up a sponge into small squares and then thread one on my leader so it is just above the hook. I dip the sponge in Menhaden Oil (gooey, smelly fish oil) so it will leave a scent trail when it is cast out. I've done this a 1/2 dozen times but it doesn't seem to enhance the bait presentation much - at least I haven't seen any results from it. I plan on trying it during sturgeon season to see if it helps attract sturgeon.

I've also modified a stink bait lure so it rests above the hook and filled it with stink bait and cast it out. I figured the stink bait and the bullhead would really be the attractant but again I didn't see any success. I've only done this a couple of times - stink bait sucks and it gets all over everything - your hands, the boat, your pants, it even woke up the wife when I crawled into bed at 2:00am. But it didn't seem to wake up any flatheads. I haven't given up on it - you would think that it would work since cats are so scent oriented.

Originally Posted By: elwood

LOL>.. good to know that stuff works if I ever need it. laugh

forgot to add that the hemoroid medicine might work if your fishin parntner is a pain in the a$$ laugh

I've seen the rattling bobber and that seems interesting. Here's a few more ideas I've thought about but haven't tried:

1. Cutting the spines off the bullhead.

2. Cutting the baitfish so they are injured and bleeding, but still plenty alive (this is probably difficult)

3. Adding a small chunk of cutbait or full nightcrawler on the same hook that the bullhead is hooked on.

I tried the hook through the anus the other day...didn't stay in very long and it was ripped out leaving a large slice in the bottom of the bully...the other hook in the dorsal spine stayed in and the bullhead was nice and bloody from the tear. So it may work to just rip the anus open towards the tail with a hook. I never got a run that evening, but the bullhead stayed alive good. I've also cut spines off before.

Would Tucks Medicated Pads work? I like the idea of being able to use a 10" by applying Preparation-H. I think you found a loophole.

Personally I don't think cutting the bait in any way will make much difference. The bully is already giving off plenty of scent just by jabbing a hook in them. I like the Dtro rattling bobber idea and it seems to be working for him. I've always wanted to try rigging a big willow leaf or other blade, but I haven't thought about it long enough to figure out how to rig it so A.) it doesn't wear the line down. B.) It stays off the bottom and any obstruction that would prevent it from moving. Perhaps some how attaching it with a sinker slider would work.

Along the lines of Darrens's idea, I am thinking of maybe modifying a bobber so that it catches the current more and makes erratic movements.

Then again, I need to actually get out to test anything.

mplspug I have been thinking along the same line with the blade and think that a hatchet blade will produce the best vibrations and with the quick change clevis's that are out today would make it easier to change out test blades so to speak. I also have a few mods for the bobber rig that I am goingto try out mabe this saturday night

Personally I don't think cutting the bait in any way will make much difference. The bully is already giving off plenty of scent just by jabbing a hook in them.

IMO I actually disagree. I always cut spines off as close to the body as I can. Usually it leaves them bleed a little bit. I can't tell you for sure that it makes me catch more fish. But what I do know is 3 nights ago I was fishing with someone 15 feet down stream of me. We both were about the same distance out in the river. The cat preferred my bullhead over over his.

Again last night I had two guys fishing with me. Both close and down stream. Soon as I caught my fish they were all reeling up and clipping the spines so the bull head was leaving a trail of blood.

Could be a coincidence, but either way I am always going to clip them. I have caught fish on bullies and bullies that have been clipped. Either way they both work as a method. I just don't think a little extra blood incentive couldn't hurt wink

Personally I would say coincidence. A flathead isn't going to come upon your bait and decide not to bite it because it doesn't have its fins clipped. First you have to put your bait where the fish is moving through and if you find that spot it doesn't matter if the fins are clipped or not.

To each his own though if it gives you confidence I say do it but I have been there and done that and never have seen any kind of difference.

Especially this time of year(post spawn) its all about bait placement...location location location.

Its pretty normal for one rod to be out performing all others when shore fishing or even out of a boat.

All I am saying is if there were two steaks sitting close to each other and I could smell the one on the right was welldone and the one on the left was medium rare. Id make that extra few steps to go grab the medium rare......

But like you said to each his own. But I think you are missing my point. The reason I clip the fins is for a better scent trail, not because I think a flat head wont bite it unless the fins are clipped.

I do agree location location location.....

If you set two steaks down next to a flathead he will eat both.

I understand your point but I dont think I was clear enough on mine.

What I was tryin to say is... I think if your bait isn't in the right location a scent trail wont help much and if your bait is in the right location a scent trail doesn't really matter.

Flatheads can smell very well but most of their hunting is done by vibration so a good strong lively bait would be my preferred choice.

Fishin with my buddy the other night I got a walleye and a couple of flats. He got nothing. Same bait as I but he wasn't in the right spot even though he was fishin right next to me. Sometimes a bait can just be a few feet off "the spot" and there will be no action for that rod.

Bottom line is if it gives you confidence then do it.

So far the only location i've found to be productive is the river...(which means i'm not catching much!) Rushing you're from eagle lake? We should get out sometime for sure. Maybe you could teach me a little bit about location as it is obviously the most important thing!.

Can use my boat, but probably only at the land of memories landing or possibly judson. Truthwalleyes@gmaildotcom

I have heard some very potant people in the catfish world who have had success snipping the meat forward of the tail half way on bullheads and suckers. My experience with this has not panned out, but just passing it on.

Also a cube (.5"x.5" to 1"x1") of Zest or Ivory threaded on, above the hook is supposed to help lure in channels and even flats. I know it works killer on channels (soap alone or above cut), but never got brave enough to waste valuable time when going for flats.

Fishin with my buddy the other night I got a walleye and a couple of flats. He got nothing. Same bait as I but he wasn't in the right spot even though he was fishin right next to me. Sometimes a bait can just be a few feet off "the spot" and there will be no action for that rod.

Good point smile and Dually Noted. I guess I always tell everyone I am lucky when I catch fish. So I pretty much stick to being at the right place at the right time.

I may make it out tonight and I'm going to snip the barbs on bullheads. Of course the problem is that there is no real way of knowing that it made any difference....

Snip them as close as you can to the body. Otherwise they will not bleed much at all.

So far the only location i've found to be productive is the river...(which means i'm not catching much!) Rushing you're from eagle lake? We should get out sometime for sure. Maybe you could teach me a little bit about location as it is obviously the most important thing!.

Can use my boat, but probably only at the land of memories landing or possibly judson. Truthwalleyes@gmaildotcom

Sounds good man. Wouldn't be until next week, I work every night until next Wednesday.

Originally Posted By: TruthWalleyes

Sounds good man. Wouldn't be until next week, I work every night until next Wednesday.

I can't get out before then either. You know how to get ahold of me.

The way the season has gone for me so far has been to get flat out skunked or get one or two runs and hook one or two fish. Last night I used a rattle bobber and snipped the horns off the bullheads. I had nine runs and hooked zero fish. I didn't know what the heck was going on. Too much sweetner?

mplspug I have been thinking along the same line with the blade and think that a hatchet blade will produce the best vibrations and with the quick change clevis's that are out today would make it easier to change out test blades so to speak. I also have a few mods for the bobber rig that I am goingto try out mabe this saturday night

Did you get a chance to experiment at all Saturday?

I forgot the other issue I have with blades is most of my fishing is from shore. Not being able to keep my main line from bowing in the current, I can't think of a way to rig it. I'd prefer to have the blade on the main line about 6 - 12" above the swivel and sinker. Maybe use a surgical tube and then dangle the blade off that with a snap swivel. I can imagine that would be tangled every time it was cast. A rig like that would have to be placed in the water. I'd also like to try a big old Colorado blade about 2 to 3 times the size of one on a bass spinnerbait. I modified a spinnerbait once with one. It put out a lot of thumping and had really low RPMs. That to me would mimic a bully pretty well and not require a lot of current. It probably would not work in a fast current. It'd probably pull your rig to the surface bullhead and 6oz weight! smile

mplsug no I didnt get a chance to give a try forgot the blades in other tackle box getting old I guess grin what if instead of a regular swivel you would use a three way and off of the third run slpit ring and a clip then a blade? just a thought. I will rig up a line that way at home so I wont forget to try it.