Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrJ

Refrigerator not cooling.

6 posts in this topic

My freezer and refrigerator compartments aren't cooling. The light and fan is working but no cooling. It's a 2002 Whirlpool side by side. Is it done or worth repairng? Thanks for any help. DrJ.

Is either section not cooling at all? If so, probably has a bad relay on the compressor, very common to go bad. If freezer section has lots of frost, almost looks like snow, on back wall, then you have a automatic defrost problem. Worst case scenario, it may have a bad compressor, then it wouldn't be worth fixing. I'm guessing probably the relay.

Once again Bearslayer to the rescue. No frost in the freezer. Just noticed tonight. Any way to see if its the relay and is it something I can do or check myself. DrJ

If you have a electrical meter, you can ohm out the compressor. Take the relay off and there is 3 pins. You should no reading from any of the pins to the case of the compressor. If you do, compressor is shorted out and bad. Usually just relay, it's probably the white plastic one that goes bad all the time. Go to Dey Appliance or any appliance store, I think there is one in Northtown and get the part number URC410. It's an upgrade from what they put in there and will never go bad. I think they are only like $20-30. If you have problems wiring it, let me know and I can give you my number and walk you through it on the phone.

Bearslayer, You were right it was the relay from my testing. I just got home and my wife picked up the part you said.I am confused on how to wire it though. If you wouldn't mind it would be great if you could walk me through the wire hookups. Thanks Rick 763-753-6371.

Bearslayer, Thanks again my refrigerator is working fine. DrJ.