• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tongue & groove boards

hawkeye43

I'm interested in any other ideas on this also. The 1/4" stuff can be a little chincy for some fish house applications. I have used 1 inch thickness in the past for some stuff, but that is a little overkill, and a little heavier. I wish I could find a place that made it in 1/2 inch thickness.

I think 1/4" is plenty thick enough for a fish house. I did the whole inside of my fish house with the 1/4" knotty pine, cabin grade from Menards and it worked just fine. If you put it at a 45 degree angle on the wall it will really stiffen up the walls for you, that's what I did anyway. Cost me about $125 to do the 4 interior walls of my 8' x 12'.

The problem with the stuff from menards and others is it comes in 8' long and if you run it at a 45, they are not long enought. You might hit 3 studs max. if you take a 8' and cut the angle to fit, I don't think thats enought of an angle.I think seams would look like h@ll and my house is 8.5' wide. As I typed this I thought of an idea on how to do the ceiling and make it work

The problem with the stuff from menards and others is it comes in 8' long and if you run it at a 45, they are not long enought. You might hit 3 studs max. if you take a 8' and cut the angle to fit, I don't think thats enought of an angle.I think seams would look like h@ll and my house is 8.5' wide. As I typed this I thought of an idea on how to do the ceiling and make it work

It really doesn't matter if you have to make a butt joint that isn't on a stud...once you put it all together it will be solid enough with the tongue and groove that if someone leans against the butt joint or something that they won't go through it. Mine has been on the inside of my house for about 7 or 8 years now and have never had the stuff crack or buckle at a butt joint.

When my buddy remodeled his house the contractor cut all of the T&G into all sorts of different lengths and put a beveled edge on all of the ends. It is really great looking but will be more work. He just set up a jig so that every board was the same distance and set it to a 45 degree and did all the pieces so that the bevel was maybe a 1/4" and when both pieces were put together it really gave it a finished look.

I had 1x8 knotty pine left over from when we finished our family room. I took that and planed it down to 1/2 the thickness. Worked great, I finished an 8' x 16' fish house with the knotty pine. If you have acces to a planer you could do that to lighten it up.