• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digital TV - Channels no longer come in

fishlips

We have a cabin in the perham area. The change to digitial TV went well. Got the box, did the programming and was getting a crystal clear Fox channel from Fargo. Around Aug 1st, the channel went blank (no reception). Tried to re-teach/re-tune the box, but it can find no channels. The neighbor reported the same thing; the reception on the Fox channel went away.

Anyone have any thoughts on changes that may have occurred with the signal? The neighbor has a standard (old) antennea on his roof. I just have the old style rabbit ears located in doors on our 2nd floor.

What may have happened was that you have a digital box with analog passthru. The Fox channel from Fargo may not have been mandated to make the digital switch in June. They probably recently converted to digital, therefore it cut down your broadcast range and you are no longer receiving the signal because you are too far from the broadcasting towers.

Yup, the box has analog passthru. So the pure digital signal has less range when compared to the older, analog signal? That could very well be the issue. Looks like I may have to go with a raised, outdoor antenna that can recieve the UHF and VHF signals.

I always wonder who really is benefitting from the change over...I definitely don't think its us the consumer. I have heard more people talk about wanting to get cable now because they are getting worse reception. Hmmm.

We got better reception and more channels before the change...and I live in shoreview where the tv towers are.

I always wonder who really is benefitting from the change over...I definitely don't think its us the consumer. I have heard more people talk about wanting to get cable now because they are getting worse reception. Hmmm.

We got better reception and more channels before the change...and I live in shoreview where the tv towers are.

You can bet that the Feds are going to be the one's who will benefit the most when they start selling off the old bandwidth but that another story. Living that close to the broadcast towers might be the case of having to much power and the need for a weaker antenna but you should have a lot more channels. I would think that you should have decent reception with just a wire loop across your uhf input or maybe no antenna at all.

I had much trouble ne of Duluth. Called FCC and they were little or no help. Called and talked to a technician named Jim from Ch 3/6 stations in Duluth. Very helpful and pleasant man. this was his recommendations:

1. Get an antenna built to receive digital signals

2. Get it high enough

3. Replace coaxial cable with a newer RG6 (I had #5)

4. Buy a signal booster to use between antenna and tv

Try these things in order!

I had to do all of these and seemed to need all. $150 later I now have many channels that I rarely watch at the cabin anyway! Somebody's making some money on this one and again, it's not the consumer!!

I read, and believe, there is no such thing as a "digital" antenna. My moms 40 year old roof top antenna works just fine in the northern burbs. 30 year old "rabbit ears" pick up the digital signals, all local channels by the way, in my home as well. Both places have no signal boost amplifier either.

I'm just north of McGregor about 55 miles from Duluth. I put up a digital power amped antenna that was mid-range and low cost. I had intended it for use in Mpls but brought it up to test out. It brings in everything good except Ch 3/6. I talked to Jim also and found out I'm bringing in VHF only. Evidently UHF has less range. I also had a dish installed and I carry my satellite box back & forth, so it's not a big issue.

It really depends on where you are located and if you can receive a good signal or not. I think 3/6 go out over UHF and 10 & 8 (out of Duluth) go out of VHF. (or is it the other wy around?) If you are located in a depression ie...near a lake? you may have to get that antenna up higher to catch the signal.

We have a cabin on Otter Tail and have cable. The best part we are on seasonal so we pay just 6 months but it's on all winter long. Sure we only go up a few times in the winter but it sure is nice. I think it's probably not cost effective to shut off and on the seasonal customers so they just leave them on. And this year having fox channel this year will be a little more important.