• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alumacraft tournament sport vs Lund Pro V IFS question???

kdawg

I'm considering these two boats only. Does anyone out there have lake-time experience in both of these boats? I know that the lund has a nice baitwell in addition to the livewells, which is a plus but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money when comparing same length boats. Also, for those who have the Alumacraft: How are the baitwells (if we can call them that)? Is the ride significantly different boat to boat? I've been in a 1900 pro v and loved it, but haven't been in a 19 foot Alumacraft. Thanks for all responses.

In my experience the Alumacraft offers a smoother and substantially drier ride.

I bought an Alumacraft based on a couple of other factors as well.

The Alumacraft has base coat clear coat paint, Full double bottom, treated wood, much lower cost, and my choice of outboard motor.

I also found out in my research that Alumacraft sells more boats than Lund and Crestliner combined and is the 4th largest boat builder in the world based on units sold.

Hey Chubby, for clarifications sake, have you been in a Pro V (windshield model) of the same length as yours? Also, what is your take on the "baitwell" in the alumacraft? I would definately prefer a separate baitwell like Lund has, and am unsure of how "useable" the Alumacraft baitwell is. Much appreciated

I have an Alumacraft. Alumacraft vs. Lund... IMO 6 one way, half-a-dozen the other. Both good boats. I bought the Alumacraft (Navigator 175) because I could get a Yamaha on it with no extra cost (in '05 a number of dealers told me at the time that a brand new Lund with anything other than a Merc would be $600 extra in rigging) and it was $500 cheaper (so about $1100 with the motor I wanted) than a comparable Lund (Explorer 1700) that had a smaller gas tank, no spedo or tach, and one less seat.

If the "baitwell" you are referring to is the bag that drops into a section of the live well it works fine, IMO. It is pretty easy to get minnows out.

Can't speak for the specific boats you are looking at - I too was comparing a Navigator to the Explorer and ended up with a Navigator. Main reason for me was I felt the fit and finish was better on the Alumacraft and was less money. Did drive the lund and the Alumcraft rides as nice, not necessarily better - I won't go down the road of saying the AC hull is better or worse. Since owning the Navigator (2nd season) I have been very pleased. Use for all species of fishing with no troubles, fish mostly smaller lakes (I live on Prior) but have had it on Lake Superior, Minnetonka and Gull in some pretty good waves and it does fine. Have not backtrolled with Lund so I can't speak to that but backtrolling with the Navigator is easy, need to make sure front livewell is filled as this will "balance" the boat out and allow it to track much better. Plus it won't get blown around as much as it does when it is emptly. All in all it is a very good fishing platform. I second the baitwell opinion, I replaced my net bucket with a circular plastic minnow bucket and I actually prefer it to the separate baitwell on the lunds. Either way I don't think you'll be doisappointed, both are the best 2 aluminum boats (IMO). Good luck with your decision. Paul

I have not been in the exact Alumacraft you are asking about. However I have been in many Alumacrafts and Lunds. My experience is that the ride is similiar in both but the Lund ride was slightly drier. The IPS hulls is great and I like the 2XB systems as well.

I also think the fit and finish in a Lund is better than Alumacraft. I think that contributes to the higher price tag and the higher resale values you see with Lunds. I do not like Lunds link to one outboard manufacturer however. I know you can get other outboards but it is at a premium cost.

I prefer Lunds over Alumacrafts and I am a Lund owner.

I am also looking at the tournament sport. I feel I would be paying extra money for no benefit with a Lund. My present Sylvan has served me extremely well for 15 years so I am not concerned that much with possible higher resale of a Lund. I am concerned with the top rod locker on the tourney as it is not sealed and on a 07 model I fished in it was somewhat musty smelling as it was outside in rainy weather for a few weeks right before we used it. I have added smokercraft into a possible choice. These companies all make excellent boats. Its the small preferences one likes plus the dealer involved which is the deciding factor.

I've got the Alumacraft and my brother has the Lund, in the models you're comparing. The Alumacraft rides a little higher and runs a little smoother in choppy water. The biggest difference that we noticed it that the windshield placement on the Lund gives you a bigger front area, while my Alumacraft has much more room in the back. You ride a little more forward in the Alumacraft, thus the smoother ride. The baitwell thing is really a none issue, you end up never really using them as much as you think you will.

We run both of the boats on LOTW regularly ( that's why we went with the bigger boats), and the differences are minor. Both are great boats and handle some pretty hairy situations well.

I've got the Alumacraft and my brother has the Lund, in the models you're comparing.

You are the guy I really wanted to hear from, having experience in both boats I'm considering. I sold my '04 Trophy last week and will be replacing it this winter/spring. My main concern really is the ride in choppier weather. Sounds like the alumacraft does just fine there when compared to the lund (which is excellent in rough water). If there are any other folks who have lake-time experience in both these models, I'd love to hear from ya. Thanks everyone for the imput.

It is my experiance that riding more to the bow is actually a rougher ride, thats why the pro's use boats with the consoles moved back, this is for rough water ride quality, thats why a tiller rides the best, the boat pivots on it's heaviest point which would be the motor thus the closer to the pivot the smoother the ride. the farther forward you go the farther up the lever you go, which actually amplifies the wave(what you feel of it). as far as these two boats go it's a horse a piece. even if the console on one is farther forward than the other it's only by a couple inches, thus no difference. GET THE ONE THAT FITS YOU BEST, color, motor, price, all around gut feeling. good luck.

the boat pivots on it's heaviest point which would be the motor thus the closer to the pivot the smoother the ride. the farther forward you go the farther up the lever you go, which actually amplifies the wave.... GET THE ONE THAT FITS YOU BEST, color, motor, price, all around gut feeling. good luck.

It all makes sense to me. And thank you for the input.

More aft from the bow may be smoother but further forward is dryer. That's why the best advise is try them both out and see what works better for you. Both Alumacraft and Lund have designed in features that do "something" - and with most things there are trade-offs. I laugh when I read a marketing brochure that says the "fill-in-the-blank" feature will do "xyz", well it might do "xyz" but it will cause "abc" - simple physics. Again, I do believe you're looking at two of the best tin boat manufacturers so I don't really think you can go wrong. Good Luck. Paul

So the true question is...Do you like a rough ride or a wet ride?

Kind of - or do you like big front casting deck or big rear cockpit. Or high sides that handle rough water but get blown around like crazy when trying to drift. Or a steep deadrise that cuts the waves but rocks and rolls when stationary in the waves. As I said, I believe most features built into a boat have trade offs - no such thing as a free lunch. Good Luck. Paul