• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

duck hunting in ND....I heard the farmers are very nice, is this true?

My dads buddy said when he hunts out in ND, he will drive and scout for a while. When he finds a field he likes, more often than not the farmers have no problem letting him hunt. Is this true? I am hoping to plan a trip this year. Also is there quite a bit of public land? Thanks for any replies

Depends on the area. Anything within 20 miles of Devil's Lake is locked up pretty tight. We head about 65 miles away from DL, and never have a problem finding hunting land. When we find posted stuff that looks good, most of the time the farmers tells us he posts it to keep guys off during deer season. They seem more than happy to let you whack all the ducks you want.

as long as the farmers dont have others on their fields or had a bad expierence with a group of hunters and you are away from a bigger city you usually wont have problems getting the land and i reccomend not going to ask during dinner or lunch time

Just dont tell them your from a big town and be nice and you should be fine!! There are some spots around Devils Lake and in SE parts of ND but for the most part you have 99% percent of land that is open for you!!! Good luck, what parts are you gonna hunt???

My dads buddy usually calls and gives reports on the migration. I have yet to make it out there though. He just made it sound a little too good to be true, as far as farmer permission. Any areas you would suggest?

anywhere in north dakota can have good hunting at the right time of year. thats the best part of making a trip up there. simply pick a general area that has lodging, food, and gas nearby, decent water, a mix of cropland, roosts, and maybe sprinkle in some public land if you cant find a good field shoot, and call it a trip!