• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replace sparkplugs at 30,000 miles?

I change my according to the manual which indicates every 15k. they use standard plugs not extended life. I did replace mine with some fancy dancy plug which for my hemi cost me 130 bucks as there is 16. after 25k, started missing took it to the dealer and the first thing they asked was if i put something other than oem plugs in which are champions. told them the story they said take them out put regular in and see what happens, which i did and the miss went a way. wont spend the extra money for the fancy ones any more. you will notice a bit better power and mileage if you change even with the oem plug. more importantly, do the transmission and axles if they require it. especially if it is under warranty still.

I have an '07 4Runner V6 and am going to have the 30,000 mile maintenance done.

Manual indicates that the sparkplugs should be replaced at 30,000 miles. Seems pretty short for plugs.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

DB

If you are doing the work yourself, check the plugs you took out with the ones you are going to install see if they are the same. The newer Toyota's that I have worked on came with platinum plugs. Most of the Asian cars come factory with NGK or Bosch plugs in them. I would highly recommend putting the same brand back in.

If it does have the platinum plugs in it, still follow the owners manual maintenance guide, and you will be a lot happier with the performance and longer life of the vehicle.

I wish all people would follow the owners manuals. Cars would actually last longer, and run cleaner(power,fuel economy).

as stated if it came with copper plugs then that sounds right.

My 03 Ranger came with Platinum plugs, but were toast after 50K miles. Ill run the 99cent Champion plugs in it and change them more often. Ill still be money ahead.

FYI, the only reason for the platinum (or whatever metal) plugs over the coppers is for long life. They dont give a better spark.

My Chev Silvarado has platinum and the manual says change @ 100,000 miles.

Why would Toyota recommend 30,000? I dont get it?

You'll be to busy fixing other things on the Chevy to have to worry about the plugs before 100,000 miles! laugh

My Chev Silvarado has platinum and the manual says change @ 100,000 miles.

Why would Toyota recommend 30,000? I dont get it?

You'll be to busy fixing other things on the Chevy to have to worry about the plugs before 100,000 miles! laugh

Speak for yourself. Ive got a 00 Chev with 158000 miles on it with the original plugs, runs like a champ! Ive maybe spent $750 in mantinance not including tires. Not to bad if you ask me!

If there regular NGK than can last a lot longer but, as mentioned, the efficiency of the engine drops as the plugs wear out. Changing them every 30k can't hurt. Extending the service life of the plug to far can lead to all kinds of drive ability problems than can involve diagnostic time, extra labor to remove frozen spark plugs

Ive got a 00 Chev with 158000 miles on it with the original plugs
and possibly a tow. All that extra expense can be avoided by keeping on the maintenance schedule. Does it mean you have to replace them at 30k, no, its just a suggested guide to taking care of the vehicle.

The other thought is if you have an extended warranty you are expected to keep up with the maintenance schedule. If there is any "warranty" work that needs to be done you may be asked to show your records that the maintenance was done.

If there a platinum/iridium/laser platinum/v-power I wouldn't be worried about changing them at the 30k mark. They will go much longer!

FYI: For the people that own newer Ford's. Don't wait till 100,000 miles to change, or even check the plugs. They came out with a horse-sh** design plugs on the newer ford. The ground tubes will seize into the head. If you wait too long to remove the plugs, I can guarantee that you will be breaking plugs off in the heads. They do make a tool for removing them, and is sold at O'Reily auto part stores. Not a cheep tool either.