• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line Recommendation for Muskie's

sparetime

I haven't used my muskie equipment for several years, and I'm sure that the line needs to be replaced. I haven't spent much time researching line, any recommendations?

I am using a 6'2" custom built rod with a Garcia 6500c3 reel. I have two such set ups, one with the rod a little heavier for jerk baits and the other a little lighter for bucktails. Can anyone point me in the right direction before I get lost in the line isle at the sporting good store?

The line doesn't necessarily need to be the same, but it would probably be more ecconomical if it were. Buy one spool vs. two.

I like to use 80 lb Power Pro. I like it because come time for fall fishing the line doesn't absorb water like the tuff line I use to use. Don't get me wrong, I like to use tuff line, but it's not that fun come fall fishing with all the water the line absorbs.

The new stren superbraid is really good, i've been impressed with how little water it brings in. Cortland is good as well, I just can't do tuff line anymore, there's really no point in having soaking wet hands all the time. Especially in fall as mentioned already...

Hiya -

Really, any of the Spectra-fiber based braids on the market work pretty well. Each manufacturer has their own set of features, but the raw material is the same. I prefer Cortland Master Braid, and can't stand Power Pro. I fish with a guy with the exact opposite opinion. Just depends on what you like. My suggestion is to pick a couple likely candidates and try them out for a while.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

As for color I would never get red power pro....unless u like have a red hand, red reel, red cork, red on armpit part of shirt after day of casting red pp.

Sounds like someone tried it? haha

I use Cortland as well, tried tuff line and powerpro. . . .DRY is good!

Yup I tried red pp since it was only 1 left at gander that day I bought low profile reel and want to use it on same day....only used it twice those dam red stain are hard to wash off!

Hey jeff off the subject. Have you find good gloves during fall fishing that keep your hands dry, warm and toasty but comfrtable enough to cast n reel?

Hey jeff off the subject. Have you find good gloves during fall fishing that keep your hands dry, warm and toasty but comfrtable enough to cast n reel?

Dry? Ha! I haven't ever found anything for any outdoor wet weather sport that keeps hands and feet completely dry.

Glacier Gloves will keep your hands warm though, even when wet. "821BK PREMIUM NEOPRENE FISHING GLOVE" is the one on their site, looks like the same thing I bought but it's a different name now. Do your hands still get numb from time to time? Yep. But these were the best i've found yet. When it's below 40 degree's and windy, you're gonna get cold, that's really all there is to it.

I've also found that you can learn to cast pretty well with heavy gloves and have multiple sets of them to switch out when they get wet. That's for those days with ice on the water...heh.